Neue Testversion 18.40b6

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
bkh
Betatester

Re: Neue Testversion 18.40b6

Beitrag von bkh »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: I can't see a problem here. Do you scale the layer with the layer move tool or the scale function (dialog)?
Here, this happens with either method, or by just setting the scaling in the Attributes layer.

Here's a a simpler example (just the large letter "G" from the previous example). Scaled down to 3 %, this is what it looks like here (at 1600 % screen magnification):
g.png
(with the "Edit Vector Points" tool active – one can see that the curve drawn doesn't match the vector points). The PLD file is attached below.

Strangely, I can only reproduce the effect with the large letters in Herbert's example – the smaller letters behave perfectly when scaled down.

EDIT: If I save the g.pld as a PDF or SVG and re-open the PDF or SVG version, then the result looks ok again.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bkh hat geschrieben:Strangely, I can only reproduce the effect with the large letters in Herbert's example – the smaller letters behave perfectly when scaled down.
and
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:*edit* This is caused by the pixel alignment, I just discovered.
Herbert123 is right here. At first I was confused, because pixel alignment is turned on for the large "A" and the large "G" only, but not for the "E" and the rest of the text.

I think, that is an inherent problem of pixel alignment. Or is there any reasonable solution to this problem? Is there a way to align complex vector shapes?

Edit: It's probably better to just align horizontal and vertical lines or curves.

Martin
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I am revisiting an old request of mine: smooth strokes.
Looks like this was fixed in PL18.40b7. Many thanks!
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

photoken hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I am revisiting an old request of mine: smooth strokes.
Not completely, unfortunately. The jaggies are gone, but the lines are still very wobbly when drawing at 25% or 50% A4@300ppi - if anything, it got worse when drawing at 200%: the lines are slightly wobbly even at 200%. Which did not happen before.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:
Not completely, unfortunately.
The problem above are two problems:
1. The mouse position from the OS is always wrong because it is aligned to screen pixels. Depending on the document zoom this error can be severe. If you are drawing fast (or the painting application is slow), the error can be diminished.

2. Painting by hand (especially slow painting) is usually rough. This can be solved by delaying drawing and by doing a kind of curve optimization.

The Beta 7 should solve the problem 1, and in my opinion this works well.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:The jaggies are gone, but the lines are still very wobbly when drawing at 25% or 50% A4@300ppi - if anything, it got worse when drawing at 200%: the lines are slightly wobbly even at 200%. Which did not happen before.
I can't reproduce this problem, neither by using the mouse nor by using a graphic tablet. With 200% I get the same results compared to the last version.

Martin
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:1. The mouse position from the OS is always wrong because it is aligned to screen pixels. Depending on the document zoom this error can be severe. If you are drawing fast (or the painting application is slow), the error can be diminished.

The Beta 7 should solve the problem 1, and in my opinion this works well.
Agreed.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:2. Painting by hand (especially slow painting) is usually rough. This can be solved by delaying drawing and by doing a kind of curve optimization.
I don't like the sound of that. I don't know if Corel uses that technique in their applications, but their CorelDraw and PaintShopPro are notorious for having the drawn lines lag considerably behind the movement of the cursor. It's obnoxious as hell, and ultimately the frustration keeps me from using those programs for drawing.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:The jaggies are gone, but the lines are still very wobbly when drawing at 25% or 50% A4@300ppi - if anything, it got worse when drawing at 200%: the lines are slightly wobbly even at 200%. Which did not happen before.
I can't reproduce this problem, neither by using the mouse nor by using a graphic tablet. With 200% I get the same results compared to the last version.
I also get the same results as before at 200%.

The bottom line for me is that a hand-drawn line should not be mechanically perfect -- it should have some "character". With PL18.40b7, the hand-drawn lines are at the point where I cannot tell if the "wobbliness" is due to my motion, or the slight roughness of the tablet's surface, or a software issue.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:2. Painting by hand (especially slow painting) is usually rough. This can be solved by delaying drawing and by doing a kind of curve optimization.
I don't like the sound of that. I don't know if Corel uses that technique in their applications, but their CorelDraw and PaintShopPro are notorious for having the drawn lines lag considerably behind the movement of the cursor. (…)
If we implement this, it will have to be turned on explicitly.

Martin
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
I don't like the sound of that. I don't know if Corel uses that technique in their applications, but their CorelDraw and PaintShopPro are notorious for having the drawn lines lag considerably behind the movement of the cursor. (…)

Martin
I would very much like an option like that - perhaps even with a slider in the drawing option to control the amount of curve optimization, so it could be matched to any user's expectations/preferences. Thank you!
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Ralf
Mitglied

Beitrag von Ralf »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:2. … This can be solved by delaying drawing and by doing a kind of curve optimization.
[…]
… a slider in the drawing option to control the amount of curve optimization, so it could be matched to any user's expectations/preferences. Thank you!
That would be fine for me, too.

Ralf