Neue Testversion 18.90b1

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
bkh
Betatester

Re: Neue Testversion 18.90b1

Beitrag von bkh »

bkh hat geschrieben: Cursors seem to work as expected when using a new PhotoLineSettings folder – so probably there's something messed up in my preferences. I'll see if I can spot something here.
I just noticed that for some reason, I had Preferences -> Working -> Cursor -> Precise Cursor for Other Cursors checked. Now everything is back to normal. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers

Burkhard.[/quote]
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Req: Color to Transparency as layer "mask"

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

photoken hat geschrieben:
bkh hat geschrieben:Remember, an adjustment layer on the layer stack is supposed to work on the combined image below it, not just on the image layer below it. If you want to apply it to a single layer, just use it as a child layer (or create an isolated group).
True, but I'm arguing that the Color to Transparency (as an adjustment layer) is a special case and ought to be created as a child layer of the image layer:
  • I can't think of a scenario where or how Color to Transparency would be wanted to be applied to the combined layer stack below it.
Actually, I do use it that way. I create a group with scanned sketches of mine, and put the Color to transparency at the top in that group. Then I turn on Draw Isolated. In this case it does not matter if the layer below the group or the background layer is not set to transparent, and I only have to deal with that one Color to Transparency adjustment layer.

I have also used the same approach to remove the background for multiple cliparts.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben:
photoken hat geschrieben: True, but I'm arguing that the Color to Transparency (as an adjustment layer) is a special case and ought to be created as a child layer of the image layer:
OK, got your point now – you would just like to change the default to create a child layer. Maybe that would be a good default for any adjustment layer...
I don't think so. I can easily imagine other adjustment layers such as Curves or Histogram, etc., needing to be applied to the entire layer stack.

You're right about consistency, though. I hate to suggest this, but maybe all the adjustment dialog boxes should have another button for creating the adjustment layer as a child layer.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

bkh hat geschrieben:
photoken hat geschrieben: True, but I'm arguing that the Color to Transparency (as an adjustment layer) is a special case and ought to be created as a child layer of the image layer:
OK, got your point now – you would just like to change the default to create a child layer. Maybe that would be a good default for any adjustment layer...
I don't think so. I can easily imagine other adjustment layers such as Curves or Histogram, etc., needing to be applied to the entire layer stack.

You're right about consistency, though. I hate to suggest this, but maybe all the adjustment dialog boxes should have another button for creating the adjustment layer as a child layer.
But... they do have one, don't they?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (3.11 KiB) 552 mal betrachtet
What would be handy, though, is that each adjustment layer would remember the state of that button for next time. Currently the state is remembered for ALL the adjustment layers, and I find myself using certain adjustments as child layers, and others more often as layers on the top of the layer stack.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:But... they do have one, don't they?
Only when you start with "layer > new adjustment layer". If you start with the normal menu entries for filters, you can only create a new layer on top, not as a child.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:
Only when you start with "layer > new adjustment layer". If you start with the normal menu entries for filters, you can only create a new layer on top, not as a child.
If you Shift-click on the "Create Adjustment Layer" button, it will create a child layer. (Shouldn't a filter create a child layer by default? This would only affect the current layer, just like the normal filter.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Actually, I do use it that way. I create a group with scanned sketches of mine, and put the Color to transparency at the top in that group. Then I turn on Draw Isolated. In this case it does not matter if the layer below the group or the background layer is not set to transparent, and I only have to deal with that one Color to Transparency adjustment layer.
OK, does my request to have the default behavior of the CtT adjustment layer be created as a child layer adversely affect that?
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben: If you Shift-click on the "Create Adjustment Layer" button, it will create a child layer.
Wow! I didn't know that -- it's a great tip. Thanks!
bkh hat geschrieben:(Shouldn't a filter create a child layer by default? This would only affect the current layer, just like the normal filter.)
I'm still not sure, but I'm gradually coming around to that idea.

If not, I still think that the CtT adjustment layer is a unique effect and should be treated as a special case and default to being created as a child layer.
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Andreas87 hat geschrieben:I understand the usage slightly different. You can use "Color to Transparency" e.g. as "Show and Clip" Layer Mask. That means you create the "Color to Transparency" adjustment layer as you did already, "transform it to previous" (see Layer Mask) and then change from a "Clip" to a "Show and Clip" type.

The result is the same as using a 'Chain* directly but a little bit more complex to create. The point is, this adjustment layer needs a dedicated layer to add transparency to.
Yes, that certainly works, but that additional complexity is what I'm asking to avoid.
Ken
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

bkh hat geschrieben:
Hoogo hat geschrieben:
If you Shift-click on the "Create Adjustment Layer" button, it will create a child layer. (Shouldn't a filter create a child layer by default? This would only affect the current layer, just like the normal filter.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me - holding down <shift> does not make any difference...Are you on Mac, perhaps?
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Actually, I do use it that way. I create a group with scanned sketches of mine, and put the Color to transparency at the top in that group. Then I turn on Draw Isolated. In this case it does not matter if the layer below the group or the background layer is not set to transparent, and I only have to deal with that one Color to Transparency adjustment layer.
OK, does my request to have the default behavior of the CtT adjustment layer be created as a child layer adversely affect that?
No, not really. It's a simple drag and drop action, and I generally have to re-arrange things initially anyway. It does make more sense to change the default behaviour to a child layer.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me - holding down <shift> does not make any difference...Are you on Mac, perhaps?
Just checked that on PC
-Open a filter, for example filter > sharpen >sharpen.
-Hold shift while pressing the "create layer" button.
I got a child layer, seems to work. The behavior is different when you use "layer > adjustment layer...".

That brings up an old topic again ;)
Why are filters disabled for vector layers, text layers and groups? A small change to the UI could enable them and also could get rid of the difference between filter... and adjustment layer...
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Unfortunately that does not seem to work for me - holding down <shift> does not make any difference...Are you on Mac, perhaps?
Just checked that on PC
-Open a filter, for example filter > sharpen >sharpen.
-Hold shift while pressing the "create layer" button.
I got a child layer, seems to work. The behavior is different when you use "layer > adjustment layer...".

That brings up an old topic again ;)
Why are filters disabled for vector layers, text layers and groups? A small change to the UI could enable them and also could get rid of the difference between filter... and adjustment layer...
Ah, that makes sense - I was trying that with the adjustment layer button in the layer panel. In my opinion these little things should be consolidated across the application: I mean, if you get a child adjustment layer by clicking with <shift> on the menu item, I would expect that to also work with the adjustment layer button.

And yes, you are correct: it is quite odd to see that the menu filters are unavailable for vector shapes, text, and groups - they do work when the user chooses to apply adjustment layers through the layer pane. Very inconsistent.

Another thing that drives me crazy sometimes is that the lasso tools are unavailable for those type of layers. Often I need to create a merged copy of part of the canvas that only consists of vector layers, and the selection tools remain unavailable then. Only by adding an arbitrary /temporary bitmap layer and selecting that can we force Photoline to display the selection tools.

Not a huge inconvenience, but still somewhat awkward.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Another thing that drives me crazy sometimes is that the lasso tools are unavailable for those type of layers. Often I need to create a merged copy of part of the canvas that only consists of vector layers, and the selection tools remain unavailable then. Only by adding an arbitrary /temporary bitmap layer and selecting that can we force Photoline to display the selection tools.

Not a huge inconvenience, but still somewhat awkward.
You can draw a vector shape for your proposed selection and use Tool...Lasso...Convert Layer to Lasso.
Ken
Andreas87
Mitglied

Beitrag von Andreas87 »

bkh hat geschrieben:
Andreas87 hat geschrieben:
bkh hat geschrieben:...(especially since adjustment layers are created to cover just the underlying layer, ...
I think you mean "layers".
No, the size of an adjustment layer is the size of the layer above which it was created (i.e., the layer that was active when you created it), not the (combined) size of the underlying layers.
Here is some misunderstanding. I meant on which layers an adjustment layer has an effect. But I think we are clear now.
Antworten