File Version Conflict Dialog Makeover Request

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Herbert123
Mitglied

File Version Conflict Dialog Makeover Request

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

PhotoLine has this terrific feature that allows us to export a JPG or PNG version of our files, and will also automatically save a PLD version as a sort-of "sidecar" file. When the exported version is opened in PhotoLine, PhotoLine will automatically open the original PLD version, and when we save automatically the exported version and the PLD are updated.

Sometimes, however, the exported version is optimized or changed in an external tool, and when double-clicked, PhotoLine will display a dialog asking the user which version it should open.

Here is the problem: even after YEARS of PhotoLine use, I STILL misunderstand the buttons on this simple dialog. The simple reason for this is that the message and the buttons are completely ambiguous in their meaning.

Please refer to this image.
file version conflict dialog.png
The left dialog is the original one. The English sentence is just incredibly ambiguous. "It" refers to either the PLD file, or the file the user clicked. You would think it refers to the PLD file, but then the sentence is ended with "anyway", suggesting the user wants to open the clicked version "anyway" instead of the PLD one?

On top of this, the use of "Yes" and "No" is bad user experience design. Good dialog button design will explicitely state which action can be expected in cases like these. Also, forcing the user to read the entire message before deciding how to answer it is slowing things down. FInally, this dialog lacks a title, and only states "attention" - which means nothing.

I almost never get it right. I keep hitting the wrong button in the wrong instance. The dialog confuses me, and forces me to think way too much. This should be a very simple action with a clear message. But it is not. I wasted hours of my life by now because of this darn dialog. (seriously!)

Compare my new version on the right:
1) A clear dialog title explains the problem. File Version Conflict.
2) The user is presented with two clearly labelled buttons: open the PLD version, or open the version clicked. No ambiguity.
3) The dialog message explains the problem clearly, and asks the user nicely about which version should be opened. Note that even without reading this message the user can make a quick decision which action to take.
4) The Cancel button is way too prominent. I have never used this button at all. Instead, I assigned the GUI standard dialog close button to the dialog title bar.

I hope this dialog will be changed to at least a more understandable message and labelled buttons for each action.

(By the way, this small example does indicate a further problem in PhotoLine's user interface design: generally, highlighted items attract attention first, and in good GUI design a highlighted button is the "active" one (meaning when the user would hit <ENTER>, the highlighted option would be used.)
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: File Version Conflict Dialog Makeover Request

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

This is resolved in the latest v8 beta!

Awesome! Thanks!
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait