hide vector path in second window while editing vector path

Herbert123
Mitglied

hide vector path in second window while editing vector path

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

With bitmap masks working in two windows allows us to preview the masked result in one window, while working in the other (zoomed) window. That is really helpful.

I noticed that this does not work for vector masks: the path outline is always visible in both windows, and it makes it impossible to preview the masked result in one zoomed out window while working in a second window with the path tools. Currently I continuously switch between the layer tool and the vector edit tool to see how the mask comes out. This takes a lot of extra time, and it is a bit of a workflow killer.

I'd like to request an option that allows us to hide the path in the non-active (mask preview) window so that we will be able to preview the vector mask result in one window, while we work on the vector mask in the other window.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: hide vector path in second window while editing vector p

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I'd like to request an option that allows us to hide the path in the non-active (mask preview) window so that we will be able to preview the vector mask result in one window, while we work on the vector mask in the other window.
I don't like the "option" idea. But as you are talking about clipping paths, it should be sufficient, if the hair line of a clipping path is only visible in the active window.

Martin

P.S.:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Currently I continuously switch between the layer tool and the vector edit tool to see how the mask comes out. This takes a lot of extra time, and it is a bit of a workflow killer.
You know that you can switch quite fast by pressing ESC. So double ESC switches to the layer tool and back to the vector edit tool.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

What about "view > panels > magnifier"?
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I'd like to request an option that allows us to hide the path in the non-active (mask preview) window so that we will be able to preview the vector mask result in one window, while we work on the vector mask in the other window.
I don't like the "option" idea. But as you are talking about clipping paths, it should be sufficient, if the hair line of a clipping path is only visible in the active window.

Martin
Yes, that is exactly what I meant: only the active window showing the path, and the non-active window it hides it. That would also be awesome when users draw elements zoomed in, and we could then see a perfect preview of the element in another view without the path visible - but still being updated in realtime - that would be great.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: P.S.:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Currently I continuously switch between the layer tool and the vector edit tool to see how the mask comes out. This takes a lot of extra time, and it is a bit of a workflow killer.
You know that you can switch quite fast by pressing ESC. So double ESC switches to the layer tool and back to the vector edit tool.
*blush* no, I'm afraid that I wasn't aware of the ESC method to switch tools - I use the q and v keys to switch quickly to see how my clipping mask is working out in the second zoomed out window.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:What about "view > panels > magnifier"?
No, that will not work, because the point is to see your masked result in a second preview window at a 100%, or perhaps at 200% to check how the mask is working out you are working on in a extremely zoomed in first view.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:
No, that will not work, because the point is to see your masked result in a second preview window at a 100%, or perhaps at 200% to check how the mask is working out you are working on in a extremely zoomed in first view.
Maybe I don't understand you, but I guess it's something like this you're looking for? It's a vector layer used as a layer mask.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Confirmatio
Mitglied

Beitrag von Confirmatio »

Maybe I don't understand you, but I guess it's something like this you're looking for? It's a vector layer used as a layer mask.
Oh, This is good understand. I agree with you. :D

nokia x tasche
Zuletzt geändert von Confirmatio am So 07 Dez 2014 10:51, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

But what if I wanted to quickly edit the path in the zoomed out version? The magnifier is not very helpful in that case. I switch continuously from one view to the other for edits, and the magnifier only shows a preview.

Having said that, still a good work around for now.

*edit* after testing this, not such a great work around at all: the magnifier follows the mouse cursor's movements continuously, making it very hard to stay focused on the masking.
Hoogo hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Maybe one should go one step further and hide all "auxiliary elements" (layer frames, layer handles, lasso, mask, guides, …) in inactive windows. Only yesterday, I wanted to compare four documents side by side and had to switch through all the documents to get rid of the layer frames and layer handles. Currently, I can't think of a reason why I'd want these auxiliary elements in an inactive window, but maybe I'm overlooking something …

Cheers

Burkhard.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

bkh hat geschrieben:
Maybe one should go one step further and hide all "auxiliary elements" (layer frames, layer handles, lasso, mask, guides, …) in inactive windows. Only yesterday, I wanted to compare four documents side by side and had to switch through all the documents to get rid of the layer frames and layer handles. Currently, I can't think of a reason why I'd want these auxiliary elements in an inactive window, but maybe I'm overlooking something …

Cheers

Burkhard.
Sounds like a great idea to me. +1

Would also be very helpful when working with layouts for web or print.
Btw, I wish we could move a document's window to another screen in Windows. Currently it is limited to Photoline's workspace, and it makes it that much harder to really make use of the space my three screens provide me with.