Create a magazine with floating text

Hier findet man Beispielbilder
Here you can find sample images
Antworten
dutchman
Mitglied
Create a magazine with floating text

Beitrag von dutchman »

The original layout was on two DINA4 sites.
This was my first try with floating text around vector shapes.
floatingtext768pl.jpg
floatingtext768pl.jpg (78.85 KiB) 7008 mal betrachtet
It's amazingly simple.
All you need are these tools.
toolsforfloating.jpg
toolsforfloating.jpg (9.8 KiB) 7008 mal betrachtet
Paul
Mitglied

Re: Create a magazine with floating text

Beitrag von Paul »

Yes, this works great. I use it regularly. I have a few requests on this function: separate x and y distance would be great, for one.
And if I could see 2 pages side by side on my screen, I could do away with the wordprocessor for small books. Now I have to switch all the time between PL and the wordprocessor because PL is so much better in converting and adapting images and other elements beside the text. The textstyles in PL work fine, but I have no overview on what I'm doing, magazine-wise.
But otherwise: this is just one more of the many many not-so-much highlighted functions of PL.
Thanks for showing it!
- Paul
dutchman
Mitglied

Beitrag von dutchman »

Hi Paul,
indeed, I guess , that not too much PL-users take advantage of the tools here in PL.
You have to try and error.
The spaces underneath the curvy graphics are in white, so that I kept the lettering in my hand.
In my opinion these tools and options are so great!
If I had a bit more time I really would make my own PL-Magazine... not as high-gloss but pdf.
Would be a challenge.
Greetz
toni
Paul
Mitglied

Beitrag von Paul »

Sounds like a nice idea, a PDF magazine. I made two 'issues' many years ago about my favorite software 15 years ago. A few users could contribute articles. It's not as exposing as a youtube-movie.
On thing I haven't found to work yet is the conditional hyphenation (control -) (handbook page 156). For what I understand is that a word will be hyphenated if it is too long, but leave unhyphenated if it is no too long. But with me, the - will always show if I try this. Normal hyphenation works with a simple -. And this will also always show. It's not a big problem, but this could be very useful for a magazine.

- Paul
dutchman
Mitglied

Beitrag von dutchman »

These "contolled" or automatic hyphens... do it by yourself.
The result always will be satisfy you, because YOU did it.
Same problem with "blocktext". The gaps between words are ridiculous sometimes.

My example at the beginning only was a sample... fast and easy... and as I mentioned "around layers". That was my goal.
You have to "put hands on" the letter-settings e.g. bold, small, italic, breakings, "overall looking".

The idea of making a PL-PDF-manual............................................... I guess not.
For that PL is too mighty and I think... Youtube is the way to go.
Paul
Mitglied

Beitrag von Paul »

Well, the trouble with hand-made hyphens is that when the text is changed, the strokes remain. I would hope that they would become invisible.
And of course, no manual. Just some fiddling around with things users come up with. For a dedicated audience. But of course we have the forum already.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Paul hat geschrieben: Di 14 Mär 2017 00:27 On thing I haven't found to work yet is the conditional hyphenation (control -) (handbook page 156). For what I understand is that a word will be hyphenated if it is too long, but leave unhyphenated if it is no too long. But with me, the - will always show if I try this.
Just discussed this in the beta testers forum. At least on macOS, there seems to be a problem with US keyboards. Ctrl-"-" works for me if I switch to the German keyboard layout (and the key labeled / on the US keyboard). However, using a US keyboard, I can type conditional hyphens using Ctrl-A, or by inserting a Unicode character U+0001. Might be a workaround until the keyboard issue gets fixed.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Paul
Mitglied

Beitrag von Paul »

Just discussed this in the beta testers forum. At least on macOS, there seems to be a problem with US keyboards. Ctrl-"-" works for me if I switch to the German keyboard layout (and the key labeled / on the US keyboard). However, using a US keyboard, I can type conditional hyphens using Ctrl-A, or by inserting a Unicode character U+0001. Might be a workaround until the keyboard issue gets fixed.
OK, thanks.
- Paul
Antworten