How many vector layers you can make?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Markku
Mitglied

How many vector layers you can make?

Beitrag von Markku »

I have successfully created a lot of vector layers. However, because the workflow in PL is such that every vector line is a new layer, I want to ask how many layers PL accepts?

I'm an trying to make images which will need thousands of lines. I know how to flatten layers, but if it would be needed, I wouldn't want to do it.

Do you think PL works well with, say, 2000-3000 vector layers? Or is it unrealistic?
bkh
Betatester

Re: How many vector layers you can make?

Beitrag von bkh »

2000 or 3000 lines/layers aren't a problem.

But there's also the possibility to have several lines (subpaths) on a single vector layer (in that case, they all share the same line width and colour). Just hold down Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Win) while creating a new vector line will place it in the current layer (so make sure the first line will be on a vactor layer, else may draw lines in a bitmap layer). There's also a Tool Setting for that option.

You may want to look at Layout -> Vector -> Merge Vector Layers which combines previously created vector layer into just one.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Markku
Mitglied

Beitrag von Markku »

bkh hat geschrieben:2000 or 3000 lines/layers aren't a problem.
Great!
bkh hat geschrieben: But there's also the possibility to have several lines (subpaths) on a single vector layer (in that case, they all share the same line width and colour). Just hold down Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Win) while creating a new vector line will place it in the current layer (so make sure the first line will be on a vactor layer, else may draw lines in a bitmap layer). There's also a Tool Setting for that option.
Um, isn't that (in Windows) by default: Ctrl - new layer, Ctrl-Shift - subpath?

But the problem with subpaths is that if you have a lot of vectors close to each other, control points are in so dense cluster that they obscure the image...
bkh hat geschrieben: You may want to look at Layout -> Vector -> Merge Vector Layers which combines previously created vector layer into just one.
I will investigate this, it might be just what's needed.
bkh hat geschrieben: Cheers

Burkhard.
Thanks for speedy answer!

Best,
Markku
Markku
Mitglied

Beitrag von Markku »

...and Layout->Vector->Merge Marked Vector Layers was exactly what I need!

Thank you!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Markku hat geschrieben:...and Layout->Vector->Merge Marked Vector Layers was exactly what I need!
Merging vector layers doesn't necessarily speed-up things. In fact, it may slow down graphics output.

Martin
Markku
Mitglied

Beitrag von Markku »

You mean that it's better to have these thousands of layers? It's possible of course. I just think it makes layer system quite problematic to use.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Markku hat geschrieben:You mean that it's better to have these thousands of layers?
Normally, yes.
Markku hat geschrieben:It's possible of course. I just think it makes layer system quite problematic to use.
You can group related layers.

Martin
Markku
Mitglied

Beitrag von Markku »

Ok, I'll try that! Grouping may give other possibilities.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I have worked with game level designs consisting of hundreds of vector objects, which in turn consisted of many sub components. Performance has been no issue at all. To maintain sanity, do group things in an orderly fashion ;-P

And use the power of virtual layers! Also, depending on the type of work you are planning: Photoline supports multiple pages in document mode, and it might be a good idea to build complex objects on a separate page, and then use a virtual version in your main document.

In addition, the new version of Photoline can import external files - that means you could save a complex object as a photoline file, and import it in a placeholder layer. The placeholder can be right-mouse clicked, and then opened and edited with the "edit placeholder" option. Great for team work too, and a great way to organize your work.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait