Logic of Save & Save As?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Eidolon
Mitglied

Logic of Save & Save As?

Beitrag von Eidolon »

Greetings.

I've been using PL on Mac for many years but am still puzzled by the behavior of Save and Save As.

Suppose I open a PLD image with layers, edit it, and save it as PNG. I get a warning that the layers will be merged. After the save, the file name in the title bar changes to [filename].png. The layers are still present in the open file. The dot indicating that the file is "dirty" (unsaved) is gone.

This behavior seems contradictory:

(1) The title bar says [filename].png, but the open file is not in PNG. It is apparently still the PLD file (correct?).
(2) My edits in the open PLD image were never saved in the PLD file, yet the "dirty" dot is gone, even though the edited PLD image is still open.

The confusion is compounded if I go to the Finder and double-click on the saved PNG file. When I do that, I am returned to the open PLD file. But if I close the open file and double-click on the SAME saved file, I see a different image -- the PNG.

Shouldn't the title bar and the "dirty" dot refer to the actual open file, not to a saved file that exists only on disk?

I'm using PL 18.52 on Mac OS X 10.9.5.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Logic of Save & Save As?

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Eidolon hat geschrieben:Suppose I open a PLD image with layers, edit it, and save it as PNG. I get a warning that the layers will be merged. After the save, the file name in the title bar changes to [filename].png. The layers are still present in the open file. The dot indicating that the file is "dirty" (unsaved) is gone.
you are right, it's not really OK this way. The correct way would be that PhotoLine enables the PLD format for saving only. All other formats should be available for export only.
But most of our users would have big problems with this, so we decided before about 20 years to do it like this.
If you want, you can activate "Options > File > Save Options" to get the PNG - but I don't think that you really want this.
Eidolon hat geschrieben:I'm using PL 18.52 on Mac OS X 10.9.5.
If you don't plan to upgrade, you should use at least version 18.53 of PhotoLine.
evren
Mitglied

Re: Logic of Save & Save As?

Beitrag von evren »

There is an option may help you, if I understood correctly.

In the main options of PL, under the File|_Save Options screen you'll find "ask to work with the saved image"
By activating this, if you save a PLD as PNG, photoline asks you to use saved image or not. If you click ok it will update the attributes of the file like you open the file again from saved one.

Emm maybe explanation is confusing or I couldn't but just try ;)