"Pillow Emboss" in PhotoLine?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
photoken
Mitglied

"Pillow Emboss" in PhotoLine?

Beitrag von photoken »

One of the nice layer styles I remember from using PhotoShopElements was its "Pillow Emboss" effect:
pillow emboss 02.jpg
The effect is like having this as a cross section:
pillow emboss cross section.jpg
I haven't been able to duplicate that effect in PL. Can anyone get that effect? If not, then this is a feature request.... :wink:
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: "Pillow Emboss" in PhotoLine?

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Yes, I noticed this as well when I began to use Photoline for my work two years ago. I do miss it at times, and now that the brothers are working on improving the layer effects, perhaps now is a good time to request for this to be implemented in Photoline.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

tried to build it in PhotoLine
PillowEmboss.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Not sure how Gerhard made his version, but in principle, you can do it by "punching" a butterfly shaped hole in the background (e.g., by using vector difference if you have a layer mask, or by inverting a bitmap layer mask) and then applying a "special emboss" to a group containing both layers. Here's a simple version (sorry, didn't have a butterfly at hand.)
Pillow emboss.jpg
The background layer must be larger than the document, otherwise you'll see the embossed outer edge.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:tried to build it in PhotoLine
PillowEmboss.jpg
Looks good - if we had the ability to position the outer glow just like the dropshadow, we could achieve the same effect with a layer effect only.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

bkh hat geschrieben:Not sure how Gerhard made his version, but in principle, you can do it by "punching" a butterfly shaped hole in the background (e.g., by using vector difference if you have a layer mask, or by inverting a bitmap layer mask) and then applying a "special emboss" to a group containing both layers. Here's a simple version (sorry, didn't have a butterfly at hand.)
Pillow emboss.jpg
The background layer must be larger than the document, otherwise you'll see the embossed outer edge.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Also a good solution. Would still be nice if we could solve this with one layer and a layer effect.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Would still be nice if we could solve this with one layer and a layer effect.
You can – almost. One can create a V-shaped border with the "special emboss" layer – just that one can't create an effect which is part inside, part outside the shape. Maybe one could add an "outer emboss" pane to the "special emboss" layer effect which allows to add an "outer emboss" part as well.

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:tried to build it in PhotoLine
Gerhard,
Thanks for the sample PLD! Your result is much closer to the "Pillow Emboss" effect than I was able to achieve.

That's a very clever use of Shadow Outside to approximate the embossing, but it is still an approximation. There are noticable differences between the embossing done in PSE and the approximation in the PLD -- subtle differences, but differences nonetheless....
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben:...
but in principle, you can do it by "punching" a butterfly shaped hole in the background
Yes, your technique gives a "true" embossing effect. That's a clever technique of applying the layer style to the group -- I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the PLD!

However, as you mention, there are problems when the embossing effect appears at the edges of the background. It's easy enough to compensate for that when the background is a simple colour, but if the background is a photograph there will be scaling/disortion/cropping problems with the compensation. :(

I also miss the capability of changing the size, position, orientation, etc., of the embossed effect relative to the background, compared to what can be done if the Pillow Embossing were a layer style simply applied to the foreground object.
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben:Maybe one could add an "outer emboss" pane to the "special emboss" layer effect which allows to add an "outer emboss" part as well.
I think that would work, but it would then make more sense to just add a new "Pillow Emboss" layer style that had its own independent, "complete" set of options, including the list of border profiles.
Ken