Don't understand: Align to Pixels works randomly

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
ono
Mitglied

Don't understand: Align to Pixels works randomly

Beitrag von ono »

Can anyone explain me how exactly the align to pixels is supposed to work?

1. If I draw rectangle without snap to pixel on, so the rectangle points are fractional then Align to Pixels effectively moves the points towards the nearest pixels, good - that's expected.

2. However when I draw triangle or any other polygon the Align to Pixels seems to have absolutely NO effect. Why? Can it just move vector points towards nearest pixel boundaties (integer coords)!?

3. When I draw rounded rect, then Align to Pixels works but completely destroys the shape, so it is no longer rounded rect.

Altogether I am happy to see this feature, as long as it is actually working, because from my experience it doesn't.

Lastly it would be also great if Align to pixels was working only on selected points, when working in vector mode with some specific point selection, this would greatly improve my workflow.

Cheers,
Adam
Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com | CBCT/PET tomography engineer
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Don't understand: Align to Pixels works randomly

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

ono hat geschrieben:Can anyone explain me how exactly the align to pixels is supposed to work?

1. If I draw rectangle without snap to pixel on, so the rectangle points are fractional then Align to Pixels effectively moves the points towards the nearest pixels, good - that's expected.

2. However when I draw triangle or any other polygon the Align to Pixels seems to have absolutely NO effect. Why? Can it just move vector points towards nearest pixel boundaties (integer coords)!?
The align function just aligns vertical und horizontal lines and leaves diagonal lines alone, because its purpose is to avoid antialiased ("blurry") edges, but diagonal lines are always antialiased.
ono hat geschrieben:3. When I draw rounded rect, then Align to Pixels works but completely destroys the shape, so it is no longer rounded rect.
I can't reproduce this. Do you have a sample PLD file with a rounded rect, that gets destroyed by applying aligning?

Martin
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:The align function just aligns vertical und horizontal lines and leaves diagonal lines alone, because its purpose is to avoid antialiased ("blurry") edges, but diagonal lines are always antialiased.
Two feature requests then:
  1. Would it be possible to have all vector points aligned to pixel boundaries when holding Option key? (so Option is kind of "force all" modifier)
  2. When working in Vector mode and having some points selected would it be possible to align all selected points (highlighted red), rather having default behavior of aligning all points lying on the horizontal/vertical lines?
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
ono hat geschrieben:3. When I draw rounded rect, then Align to Pixels works but completely destroys the shape, so it is no longer rounded rect.
I can't reproduce this. Do you have a sample PLD file with a rounded rect, that gets destroyed by applying aligning?
It can be observed with small shapes (big pixels) when one side of the shape gets aligned shifting points out of the shape center when other side points are shifted towards center. Try to align on attached example. I think the problem is that bezier control points needs to be moved together with the vector points, but they are not.
RoundRectAlignment.pld
Finally please add some icon to this function. Anything other than happy face :)
Zrzut ekranu 2015-10-12 o 14.22.00.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com | CBCT/PET tomography engineer
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

ono hat geschrieben:It can be observed with small shapes (big pixels) when one side of the shape gets aligned shifting points out of the shape center when other side points are shifted towards center. Try to align on attached example. I think the problem is that bezier control points needs to be moved together with the vector points, but they are not.
The control points are moved together with the vector points, but the different movement of base points distorts the round corners.
I will check the problem.

Martin