I want!

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

I want!

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I want a brush that can brush on a curve.

I have images that I often want to carefully brush on adjustments. Dodge n burn, sharpen etc. I can do this now with PL's options. Filter brush etc.

But what I want/need is a brush that I can set based on a curves setting. Then using the 'normal' brush settings, size opacity etc, carefully brush on curve adjustments to selected areas/items.

So Up to Tools. Select Curves. Make the adjustments. Check a box marked 'Brush only'. Then select a brush and make the appropriate settings. Then brush on the adjustment/curve.

Possible?

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Re: I want!

Beitrag von photoken »

I know you hate using masks, so you're not gonna like my answer.... :wink:

Apply your Curves adjustment as an adjustment layer and paint on the mask for the adjustment layer (or create a new child mask for the adjustment layer and paint on that).
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Ken I know what you're saying. But I need the ability to use an 'artistic' touch. Masks etc get too complicated and involve extra layers etc etc.

I want to keep it simple. Just like me!! :(

bruce
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I also sometimes prefer to use the soften brush instead of an adjustment layer. Mostly when I'm working on a layer mask already, it can be undone (in a dirty way) with the sharpen brush, and some quick and dirty will do.

But for curves on the real picture? That sounds as if it needs a lot of corrections, over and over again.
After pressing the "create adjustment layer" button and pressing Alt+I to turn it black you can do so much more than any simple brush could ever do.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Mi 26 Apr 2017 02:46 So Up to Tools. Select Curves. Make the adjustments. Check a box marked 'Brush only'. Then select a brush and make the appropriate settings. Then brush on the adjustment/curve.
As a workaround, you could

• apply Curves (or any other filter)
• copy the image and paste it into the foreground colour swatch (it will be used as a pattern)
• press "Undo" (to undo Curves)
• use the paint brushes to paint in the "pattern"

The problem I can see with both your suggestion and the workaround is that you can't mix this with normal painting. Moreover, a checkbox doesn't really make sense from a GUI perspective – you'd need a modeless filter dialogue which allows you to switch to the main window. Something like the adjustment layer panel, but to control a "custom" filter brush might be an option. (I guess that the only reason why there is no "curves" filter brush is that you can't fit its settings into the "Tool Settings" panel.)

Alternatively, one could add a "use as custom filter brush" button (similar to the "use as an adjustment layer button") to the filter dialogue which closes the dialogue leaving the layer unchanged. The filter brush could then switch to "Custom" using the last settings. Should be relatively easy to implement, at least for those filters having corresponding adjustment layers (but even this might involve changing every single filter dialogue).

I'm not sure, though, if enough people will use it. For me, using an adjustment layer would be the natural solution (followed by a "merge down" if needed).

Cheers

Burkhard.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Some good thoughts. My 'problem' is that I want to jump from brush to brush fine tuning various details. Creating adjustment layer/s adds complications.
I raised a similar issue sometime back. I also use PSPx8 as an editor. ie one of my favourite feature on PSP is the Hue Saturation brush. An easy way to adjust hue and saturation on details by simply brushing in changes. I know all this can be done by creating layers and with selections. But I often want to get in, brush in an adjustment, consider it and either accept it or back out and try again.

An example. I have just signed a publishing deal for some of my steam locomotive images. I like to highlight the loco headlights. In PSP I can simply select a hue/saturation brush. Change the brush criteria, (size, hardness opacity etc etc), and brush in saturation. Then do the same for sharpness to create a 'brightness' affect by over sharpening. PL is limited with this sort of feature when compared to PSP.

I know I'm probably the only person needing/wanting this. But I can only hope.

If there was a way to take most of the Tools features and allow me to apply them with a brush rather than globally or in a separate layer.

bruce
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Bruce,

You've already got that Saturation brush in PL:
  1. Choose the Painting tool.
  2. Set the foreground colour to a saturated colour, like the "Blue" swatch in the top row.
  3. In the tool settings for the Painting tool, set the Channels to "HSV".
  4. De-select the "H" and the "V" buttons so that only the "S" button is active.
Now, you can paint on the image to increase the saturation. You'd better set the Intensity to 10% or less! :wink:

To paint a desaturation, switch the colour swatches so that the White (or another desaturated colour) is the foreground swatch and go for it.

The filter brush allows you to paint the "Sharpening" effect, so you've got that covered too.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks Ken. That method of saturation/desaturation will work for me.

Live and learn.

bruce