CMS Setup

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
iosoio
Mitglied

CMS Setup

Beitrag von iosoio »

Hello!

I've read the occasional posts on the Colour Matching System in PL forum and this made me to ask for a confirmation about the correctness of my setup.

In the Color Management > Devices I've activated the Colour management (obviously), left Scanner and digital camera to 'none' because I've never profiled my scanner and I use an external RAW processing App: my camera is a Sigma and I can only use Pro Photo.

I instead set the screen on my monitor custom profile and the proof on the Blurb ICC profile, because Blurb is my favourite platform and where I print all my PDFs. In case of single pictures I use White Wall, switching to one of their profiles: normally WW Inkjet - Fine-Art or WW C-Print - Fuji Crystal Archive, Glossy.

In the Color Management > Standard I've checked 'Use Little CMS' which is renowned to be better the old Windows ICM (I still use Windows 7p, and I don't even know if W10 is using a different engine to match the ICC profiles) but I left 'Use Blackpoint Compensation' unchecked since I want to have a proof as accurate as possible.

I activate the Blackpoint compensation when I need to convert an image from one colour space to another using ICC profiles, practically when I convert my RGB sources to CMYK via the Blurb ICC profile, and only if I see that otherwise the shadows get spoiled (lighter).

Am I wright? Is this setup correct for you?

Thanks a lot.

-
Papa, Papa, ich möchte ein Clown sein, wenn ich groß bin.
Bravo, sag deiner Mutter, sie soll dich nach Italien bringen, um als Richterin zu lernen!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: CMS Setup

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I don't see an obvious problem.

I don't know whether Lcms is better than Windows CMM, but in my last tests it was slower.

Please not, that the proof profile is used for both on-screen and printing.
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

Thank you
Please not, that the proof profile is used for both on-screen and printing.
I am not sure to have properly understood.
Do you mean that, if the working space is different from the one assigned to the monitor (always, since I periodically profile my monitor) I should select the latter in the Devices > Proof pop-up menu? and then enable the View > Proof mode (ctrl+2)?

I was thinking that selecting the monitor profile under the Devices > Screen (or 'System', given that the custom LUT is already set as default in the Windows Control Panel) was enough to have an on the fly monitor compensation...
Bravo, sag deiner Mutter, sie soll dich nach Italien bringen, um als Richterin zu lernen!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I just meant, that turning on the proof mode will apply the proof profile to the screen and to the printer.
In the past there were questions about this.

It is correct to select your monitor profile under "Devices > Screen".
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

iosoio hat geschrieben: Sa 19 Aug 2017 21:42 I was thinking that selecting the monitor profile under the Devices > Screen (or 'System', given that the custom LUT is already set as default in the Windows Control Panel) was enough to have an on the fly monitor compensation...
Correct.

You only need proof mode to simulate print output on your monitor (or to simulate printer A using your local printer B). This is because printers normally have less saturation and less contrast than your monitor, and sometimes you need to preview the results.

Cheers

Burkhard.
iosoio
Mitglied

Beitrag von iosoio »

(or to simulate printer A using your local printer B)
That I think is the point; Now I should have understood. Thank you.
printers normally have less saturation and less contrast than your monitor, and sometimes you need to preview the results.
Yes:-) this is the reason because the CMS exists. In general digital or offset printers, as long as they work in CMYK, render colours differently: the biggest difference I found, though, it's not the contrast but the Cyan: light blue shades renders porely in CMYK and they need to be shifted in hue, saturation and lightness to have, at least, a predictable result.
Antworten