10-Bit RAW Files from CHDK, How To Add EXIF and Thumbs?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Koyaanis
Mitglied

10-Bit RAW Files from CHDK, How To Add EXIF and Thumbs?

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

I have been using an AMAZING firmware add-on for my Canon camera. It allows some non-RAW Canon cameras to now have a RAW file type. You can read more about it here http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

The even more wonderful part is that PhotoLine 32 is one of the only 2 or 3 programs that will read these new RAW files just as they are, even adjusting the white-balance automatically.

These cameras, with CHDK installed, create a corresponding JPG file at the same time as they create the RAW file. For example: I can (with this CHDK's options) set the file-name or extension so each time I take a photo I will get a "IMG_2036.JPG" and a "IMG_2036.CR2" file at the same time. The *.CR2 file being the equivalent RAW file for the JPG one. The JPG one is complete with all EXIF info and preview thumbnail embedded (at least I think the JPG has a thumb in it).

These 10-bit RAW files however do not contain any header information at all. No EXIF info, no thumbnail, nothing but 10-bit RAW data.

I'd like to keep my work-flow completely contained within PL32, so I'm wondering if:

1) There is a way to get PL32 to read the EXIF info from the corresponding JPG file that's created at the same time, and then patch it onto the 10-bit RAW data. Preferably with thumbnail included.

2) OR, is there a way to import all these images automatically from a folder, adding in the corresponding EXIF info and Thumb, and then re-saving them as a 16-bit file that's more universal? (And hopefully, a 16-bit format that's less than 30 megs each. :-) These 10-bit RAW files from my camera are only about 7.5 megs each so it makes them quite manageable.)

3) OR ... can someone think of another way to get these RAW files to have EXIF info and Thumb included so they can be read by other organizers and browsers? (Which would also allow PL32 to see the preview-thumb and EXIF info on each one.)

If it can't do it now, could this be possible in a future version of PL32?? (pretty please? :-) )
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Can you send me a test raw image to see how it works?

Gerhard
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Thank you very much for looking into this for me Gerhard. I went in search of those other utilities we discussed in mail, and found that the "DNG for Powershot" does most of what I was hoping to accomplish. It takes the EXIF from the corresponding JPG file and tags it on to the resulting DNG file. It won't patch in the thumbnail from the JPG, but at least the EXIF info gets ported over. I also tried that DCRAW program, for a command-line program it's also pretty good. Being able to directly convert these "odd" 10-bit RAW files into TIFF or PPM filetype. Even without using any of the extra parameters it converts them nicely with the simple command of "dcraw filename.cr2".

I should be able to get by with these extras support programs for most my needs now. Maybe I can request the authors of DNG for Powershot to also import the thumbnail from the JPG too. Then I'll be all set.

Anyway, thanks again. I thought I'd post my update to my own question here in case others are wondering how to accomplish these things.