Screen resolution

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Screen resolution

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

I am running PL32 with a Benq 22" wide screen (1680 x 1050) driven by a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro display card in a dual 1.25 Mhz G4 MDD tower.

It is clear PL32 is misreading this. For instance, a window opening for a 10.16 cm width (300 dpi) actually presents on screen as 34 cm width with the view set at 100%.

An A4 page, 21 cm wide, runs out to 43.8 cm on the screen at 62.6% view (full width with the PL 32 toolbar on the left and the Mac dock on the right).

In the Preferences > Display > Screen resolution, I have length = 139.7 cm and resolution = 72 dpi.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

100% doesn't mean that the size on screen is the same as in reality. It means that every pixel of an image is one pixel of the screen.
If you want to get the reality size of a document on screen, you should setup the screenresolution to the correct value at "Edit/Options/Display/Screen Resolution". Here you have to measure with a ruler the length of the red bar and setup this value to "Length". PL32 will calculate the real screen dpi. A better way would be to measure the whole screen width and divide it by the amount of horizontal pixel of your screen.
If you have done this, you should select "View/Original Size". Now you can see the original size of your document on screen.

Gerhard
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Okay, Gerhard, I understand your thinking in regard to images (I think!). But in respect of documents -- an A4 page is 21 cm wide and should be portrayed as such. Certainly "original size" shows it as that width once the screen definition is worked out in the Preferences (I worked mine out to 90 based on the width of the A4 -- much easier to measure), but it goes against the grain for me to think of that as 30% zoom (which is what shows). 100% = full size!

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Is this the sort of thing you are dealing with, Gerhard?

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/
Resolution Independence
The old assumption that displays are 72dpi has been rendered obsolete by advances in display technology. Macs now ship with displays that sport native resolutions of 100dpi or better. Furthermore, the number of pixels per inch will continue to increase dramatically over the next few years. This will make displays crisper and smoother, but it also means that interfaces that are pixel-based will shrink to the point of being unusable. The solution is to remove the 72dpi assumption that has been the norm. In Leopard, the system, including the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks, will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.
And over at MS, this (they bought Seadragon):

http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

Cheers, Geoff

Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Fact is, that time of 72 dpi screens is gone.
Now you can setup different screen resolutions on your screen and so the screen dpi will change. If you have a 19" display, you can setup 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024 or what ever you want screen resolution. The dpi will change in a wide range. This is the reason why PL32 has a setup dialog to get the real screen dpi.

Gerhard
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I am used to pixels, for me it's just fine that one pixel of the picture fits to one pixel of the screen at 100%.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

I can see it for images, hoogo, but not for pages.

Still, no doubt I will survive this shock to my perceived system! 8-)

Cheers, Geoff

Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

lol :)
I'm not sure anymore if we are talking about a philosophical problem or a practical one. If it's about a practical one:
-Right cllick on the zoom-toolbar and choose edit toolbar.
-That's a shortcut to Edit > Options > Usage > Toolbars
-In the list of available menu entries you find "view > original size"
-Add it to the buttons of the toolbar and remove the 100%-button from it (or leave it if your monitor is big enough)
I think this original size is for use with documents.