Retaining transparency when saving in TIFF format

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Retaining transparency when saving in TIFF format

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hello all

I am creating a figure with some transparency in it created by using the Autotransparency tool.

When I save the file in TIFF format, the thumbnail that appears when I select the file shows the transparent areas, but when I open the file in Canvas, the transparent areas are filled again with the colour I thought I removed with the Autotransparency tool.

What's the story, please? Is there a way to save TIFF with transparency which will be recognized by other programs?

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

"Normal" programs will recognize the transparency that PL32 stores in TIFF files. I tested this with Photoshop, Photopaint and PaintNet.
Some programs don't really can handle transparency in background layers and create a paths or additional channels instead.
If you have problems, I would suggest to use PNG to transfer the images.

Gerhard
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Gerhard

I tried saving as PNG, but got a warning that that format couldn't handle CMYK. these pictures are for print publication -- they MUST be CMYK.

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Hello,

if you need CMYK, PNG is not a possible format. CMYK with transparancy can be saved in TIFF, PSD and JPEG2000.

Gerhard
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:Hello,

if you need CMYK, PNG is not a possible format. CMYK with transparancy can be saved in TIFF, PSD and JPEG2000.

Gerhard
Hi Gerhard

I guess my message is that PL 32 is not saving the transparency in TIFF or PSD in a way that can be recognised by the DTP programs I need to export to. Neither InDesign 2 nor Canvas X recognises JPEG2000.

You mentioned that you tested PL 32 files with Photoshop, etc. I don't care a damn whether the files can be opened by Photoshop and other image editing programs. If I used Photoshop (and heaven forbid that I should ever need to) then I would not be using PL 32.

Cheers, Geoff