Try the Color Dodge feature.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Try the Color Dodge feature.

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hi all

Sopmeone over on the Wizaerd's Canvas list was looking at a P'shop tutorial and trying to duplicate it in Canvas using the Dodge function as the parallel for P'shop's Color Dodge. This worked fine in a couple of isntances, but not in one where you take a photo and give it a pencil sketch appearance.

BUT -- THE MIGHTY PHOTOLINE 32 DID THE JOB WITH EASE.

Here's the tutorial: http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/sketch.asp

Here it is for PL32 (written for the edification of Canvas users):

I tried PhotoLine 32 and its Color Dodge -- and was able to follow the P'shop tutorial through and get the same result. I didn’t go the step further to the tutorials final image to add a little gray to the face -- he shows this in some of his final examples but not in others.

Incidentally, you don't need the color image to remain in place as the tutorial suggests -- note that as soon as he duplicates the picture, he makmes the original image invisible. It then has no effect on the result. So you may as well reduce the process by a step and just open the picture and desaturate it.

In PhotoLine 32 go to Views | Dialogs | and switch on the dialogs for Toolsettings and Layers/Channels. (You should have these two plus most of the View | Toolbars| various toolbars switched on by default anyway for easy working.)

Here are the steps in:

1) Open the picture and go Tool | Color | Hue/Saturation | then desaturate it so you have a gray scale image.

2) In the Layers/Channels dialog, click on the button to duplicate the layer. Leave the original layer still visible but not selected.

3) With the duplicate selected, go Tool | Color | Invert.

4) Next in the Layers/Channel dialog go to the drop-down menu (with "normal" as default), choose Color Dodge. My image went totally white.

5) Now go Filter | Blur | Gaussian Blur and in my case, I went to 15 before I was satisfied with the image. Perhaps it could have been a little lower.

6) To color the eyes (the extended tut), I simply selected them with the elliptial marquee tool (ants doing what ants do best) then went Tool | Color | Hue/Saturdation, checked the Colorize button and selected my color. Repeat for other eye.

I did not go into shading part of the image as he has gone with some of his.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Interesting. I tried it on a sample photo of some scenery. I can see how this might be handy at times. I also played with applying it to the R, G, and/or B channels or in HIS or Lab modes in the Gaussian Blur filter too. (Now I'm wondering what other filters might do. Something to play with on a rainy day.)

Thanks for posting this.