PassPort Photos using PhotoLine?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
genosmm
Mitglied

PassPort Photos using PhotoLine?

Beitrag von genosmm »

Is anyone using PhotoLine to make PassPort Photos?

Thanks,

Gene
lutz
Mitglied

Re: PassPort Photos using PhotoLine?

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello,
What would you want to do precisely?
genosmm
Mitglied

Beitrag von genosmm »

Lutz,

Maybe I am having ISP problems but thought had posted a reply to you that was never posted?

There is a Website http://www.epassportphoto.com/ that is the easiest way to get passport photos If you do not need to change photo resolution, used the camera horizontally....

If you have made one or more of the above mistakes you need to use PhotoShop etc.

Am wondering if PhotoLine had a tutorial to walk you though this?

A basic PS tutorial on how to do this is http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=22

Gene
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello Gene,

I have only time for a very short reply at the moment. Somebody else will likely contribute a more extensive answer. And there are most likely 20 different ways to achieve what you want in PhotoLine.

In Photoline you can manage this task quite a bit "better" because of the vector support.
My first idea would be the following:

Create a new document.
Under View > Alignment helpers > switch on the ruler and set it to inches.
Copy your photograph as a new selection into this new document.
Choose the vector tools to create 2inchx2inch square (right-clicking the square, chosing properties, and adjustingthe size there to 2 inch by 2 inch might be even easier).
Modify the square to "No fill"". Move the square over the photograph.
Under >Layer > Clipping Layer > chose "Clip previous"

Both layers remain fully editable, especially scaling, rotating, and moving the photo is very easy (and copying to print more copies on one sheet etc.)
genosmm
Mitglied

Beitrag von genosmm »

Lutz,

As you can tell I am a "Real Newbie". Most of my photo editing has been with "Very Simple" No layer photo editors. While I have tried PhotoShop I am overwhelmed by it (same with PhotoLine) and only really accomplish anything by having a "guide or tutorial" guide me through the necessary steps.

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I went to the Manual concerning Vector Graphics p31 but still am unsure how to use it. Also checked the Measurement Tool p114.

Am wondering about first just following the PhotoShop PassPort Photo Tutorial that I posted using PhotoLine and keep everything in Metric.

Once I get comfortable with PhotoLine then try vector layers... What do you think?

Bottom Line: I think need to do this the simplest way possible.

Thanks again for all your help and patience!

Gene
lutz
Mitglied

Tutorial

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello Gene,

I have attached a tutorial which hopefully has a broader application than purely the cropping of passport photos. It is pretty detailed, and thus could appear to be complicated. The procedure itself is very simple.
Please let me know what needs improvement.

http://www.simplexx.net/downloads/passporttut2.pdf

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von lutz am Mi 05 Mär 2008 00:55, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
genosmm
Mitglied

Beitrag von genosmm »

Lutz,

Was offline for a couple days.

Downloaded your tutorial and will give it a try.

I like the Graphics because sometimes it is hard for me to follow only the text (esp when I am just starting to use a complicated app like PhotoLine).

This comment may be local. Usually for these Passport Photos 4" x 6" prints are used rather than A4 size just because it is much less expensive.

Gene
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

You need to check local regulations for the photos themselves. Here in the land of Oz, you can't have teeth showing in a smile. The expression is supposed to be neutral. The printed pix must be 35 x 45 mm (1 3/8 x 1 3/4 ins) and the face (top of hair to chin) filling around 75% of the picture. Unless the hair is too extravagant by "normal" standards, of course!

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
genosmm
Mitglied

Beitrag von genosmm »

Lutz,

Using IE I got an error message when tried to post. Today am using FireFox on Linux and hope to do better.

As a PhotoLine newbie I thought your tutorial was concise and easy to follow.

At this time the only problems I found was a couple of typos. Am guessing you were tired. With this Linux Xpdf am unable to copy from your PDF and paste to my reply so will give you the general area.

They are:
1. The new document will have...

2. edge of the...

Thanks again for the tutorial!

Gene
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello Gene,

thanks for your comments.

I have updated the tutorial in the post above. May you let me knwo what remains unclear and what could be improved ?
Antworten