Cannon RAW format - Does PL support?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Hangnail
Mitglied

Cannon RAW format - Does PL support?

Beitrag von Hangnail »

Eventually looking to get into digital photography and was wondering if Photoline supports Canon's raw format?
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Cannon RAW format - Does PL support?

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Hangnail hat geschrieben:Eventually looking to get into digital photography and was wondering if Photoline supports Canon's raw format?
Yes, there is an import for several Raw-Image formats. Canons is one of them.
Gerhard
DJJohnson
Mitglied

Beitrag von DJJohnson »

I was reading another forum elsewhere, a few people mentioned that Canon EOS D20 and Canon 30D RAW formats are not supported in PL32 yet. Is there any plan to add these in the future? From that discussion it appears that not many other programs support these cameras, it looked like they could use some affordable software that would read them.

I couldn't believe the convoluted work-flow that one person posted. They had to
... copy camera files to disk
-> use Bibble Pro to convert from Canon .cr2 format to 16-bit TIFF ->
use Photomatix Pro to create HDRs. Now that PSP 11 can read Canon EOS
30D .cr2 raw files I don't have to use Bibble Pro for that part anymore
but will have to keep using it for saving to 16-bit TIFF. Oh, and PSP
comes in at the end of this workflow for cropping, reducing to PNG for
web use, etc. It can read the 16-bit TIFFs just fine but when saving
reduces them to 8-bit TIFFs.
HDR is short for High-Dynamic-Range, the very same thing that your "Connect Images" tool does. I can only imagine how many problems that your software would prevent for situations like this. Doing it all with the very same program -- if it supported these cameras' RAW formats that is.

(PSP can't save any 16-bit files other than their own pspimage files. PSP doesn't even warn people that it's converting 16-bit images to 8-bit when saving them.)
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

DJJohnson hat geschrieben:I was reading another forum elsewhere, a few people mentioned that Canon EOS D20 and Canon 30D RAW formats are not supported in PL32 yet. Is there any plan to add these in the future? From that discussion it appears that not many other programs support these cameras, it looked like they could use some affordable software that would read them.
I have here several cr2 files from EOS 20D that are read without a problem. Sorry, but I have no 30D files to test. If you have one, can you send it to me?
I think the forum users tested an older version of PL32.

Gerhard
DJJohnson
Mitglied

Beitrag von DJJohnson »

Someone in the other discussion asked about the similarity of the EOS D20 and the EOS 20D, I guess they do not have the same RAW file structure as each other. The same is true of the EOS D30 and EOS 30D.

Sorry, I don't have any images in these formats. (Is there a place on the internet where you can find the RAW data format/structure of these cameras?) I just thought I'd mention this because it seemed important to some people looking for a solution to their RAW image problems. Another group of people that would need your software if it supported their camera. :-)

I'll hunt around, they used to provide RAW formats somewhere for people to test.

Correction: Someone else in that other discussion just posted that there never was any D20, people just make the mistake of typing 20D that way. The person who wrote that PhotoLine wouldn't work with RAW data from the 20D probably didn't have an updated version of PL32, as you just said.

I think I just found a 30D RAW file for you. Reading this thread, I found a link for this CR2 file. But, if I read that discussion in closer detail, this might be a problem file that is not 100% compatible with other 30D files. You might have to wait for someone to contribute a more standard file from their camera for you.