Multiple layered Icon file problem

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
wmjordan
Mitglied
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 14 Apr 2004 16:33

Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by wmjordan » Wed 14 Apr 2004 16:48

Some icons have several sizes, for example 16*16, 32*32, 48*48, 96*96.

When they are loaded into PL, the document size are not of the maximum size, but 16*16, that makes me feel very inconvenient. Can PL load the biggest one and set it as the document size?

User avatar
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2002 15:30
Location: Bad Gögging

Re: Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by Gerhard Huber » Wed 14 Apr 2004 17:58

wmjordan wrote:Some icons have several sizes, for example 16*16, 32*32, 48*48, 96*96.
When they are loaded into PL, the document size are not of the maximum size, but 16*16, that makes me feel very inconvenient. Can PL load the biggest one and set it as the document size?
PL32 opens icons as a picture. In picture mode the document size is set by the first layer, that can't be changed. I can change the import to open icons in document mode, here I can setup the document size to the biggest icon at the end of importing.

Gerhard

wmjordan
Mitglied
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 14 Apr 2004 16:33

Re: Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by wmjordan » Sat 17 Apr 2004 08:05

Gerhard Huber wrote:
wmjordan wrote:Some icons have several sizes, for example 16*16, 32*32, 48*48, 96*96.
When they are loaded into PL, the document size are not of the maximum size, but 16*16, that makes me feel very inconvenient. Can PL load the biggest one and set it as the document size?
PL32 opens icons as a picture. In picture mode the document size is set by the first layer, that can't be changed. I can change the import to open icons in document mode, here I can setup the document size to the biggest icon at the end of importing.

Gerhard
That is great!

By the way, I wish that it would do better in batch converting icons to images. Now adays, PL32 does not convert icons to images very well. First, it does not support transparency when converting icons to GIF; second, it does not provide us a chance to choose when converting multiple size icons. These might need a little improvement. ^_^;

User avatar
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2002 15:30
Location: Bad Gögging

Re: Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by Gerhard Huber » Sat 17 Apr 2004 08:35

wmjordan wrote:By the way, I wish that it would do better in batch converting icons to images. Now adays, PL32 does not convert icons to images very well. First, it does not support transparency when converting icons to GIF; second, it does not provide us a chance to choose when converting multiple size icons. These might need a little improvement. ^_^;
OK, I changed the code of Icon-Import/Export now. I will load icons in the future to pages. Each page can have a different size. So it will be possible to create one icon size on a page with many layers. I think that is the best way.
But this new way will cause problems for you if you wish to batch convert icons to GIF. I think PL32 will convert only the first page and so the first icon to GIF. You can record an action that selects the next page, but you have to know where the icon size is that you want and it has to be on the same page in every icon. Which icon size do you want to get when you convert an icon to GIF?

Gerhard

wmjordan
Mitglied
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 14 Apr 2004 16:33

Re: Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by wmjordan » Sun 18 Apr 2004 09:17

Gerhard Huber wrote: OK, I changed the code of Icon-Import/Export now. I will load icons in the future to pages. Each page can have a different size. So it will be possible to create one icon size on a page with many layers. I think that is the best way.
But this new way will cause problems for you if you wish to batch convert icons to GIF. I think PL32 will convert only the first page and so the first icon to GIF. You can record an action that selects the next page, but you have to know where the icon size is that you want and it has to be on the same page in every icon. Which icon size do you want to get when you convert an icon to GIF?

Gerhard
Actually i am just trying to extract icon images from some ICL (Icon Library) files. Some utilities can help to extract icon files from the library and save them as ICO files one by one. Then i just hope that PL32 can convert the extracted ICO files to GIF files on the fly. It is usually very hard to predict which page contents the icon matching the size i want.

If this request is, and i guest it really is, too tough to implement, please let it be and forget it.

User avatar
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon 18 Nov 2002 15:30
Location: Bad Gögging

Re: Multiple layered Icon file problem

Post by Gerhard Huber » Sun 18 Apr 2004 11:07

wmjordan wrote:Actually i am just trying to extract icon images from some ICL (Icon Library) files. Some utilities can help to extract icon files from the library and save them as ICO files one by one. Then i just hope that PL32 can convert the extracted ICO files to GIF files on the fly. It is usually very hard to predict which page contents the icon matching the size i want.If this request is, and i guest it really is, too tough to implement, please let it be and forget it.
That's the problem I see, PL32 can't detect which one of the images in one image file is the one you want. So I think you can't do a batch job on icon files to get GIF's from it. If the right icon is alway on the same place, perhaps it would be possible.

Gerhard