8bf Plugins

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Partha
Mitglied

8bf Plugins

Beitrag von Partha »

Hi all,

Just 2 weeks into PL and am liking it quite a bit.

Anyway, I read in the manual that you can extend PL functionality using 8bf plugins. So, I was trying this out with plugins from photo-plugins; for example:

http://www.photo-plugins.com/Plugins/Pl ... ement.html

Unfortunately, the plugins do not show up anywhere in the menu. The only thing the manual says on page 295 is that some plugins may perform illegal operations or may need Plugins.dll or Msvcrt10.dll and you have to get them from the manufacturer. However, the site above has no such files.

So, how do I use these plugins or any 8bf plugins?

Thanks,
Partha
Sus
Mitglied

Re: 8bf Plugins

Beitrag von Sus »

Just put the ppplce.8bf plugin anywhere you like,
for example in \PhotoLine\Defaults\Plugins
Next tell PL to find it there with
menu Edit, Options, Extended, Plug-in Modules.
From then on it is available under
menu Filter
( Photo-Plugins , Local contrast enhancement in this example).
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

32Bit-Plugins only appear in 32Bit-PL, and 64Bit-Plugins only appear in 64Bit-PL. I guess this plugin is for 32Bit (and windows).
Partha
Mitglied

Beitrag von Partha »

Sus hat geschrieben:Just put the ppplce.8bf plugin anywhere you like,
for example in \PhotoLine\Defaults\Plugins
Next tell PL to find it there with
menu Edit, Options, Extended, Plug-in Modules.
From then on it is available under
menu Filter
( Photo-Plugins , Local contrast enhancement in this example).
I did the above. But it didn't show up anywhere. The manual mentions "Activate Plug-in Modules" which I could not find.

As per your next response, how does one determine if a plugin is 32-bit or 64-bit?

PS: Yes, I use Windows but I also use PL on a Mac (Snow Leopard).
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Partha hat geschrieben:As per your next response, how does one determine if a plugin is 32-bit or 64-bit?
Afaik only by the description that comes with the plugin. File type is always .8bf, most plugins are still only available for 32Bit, sometimes (Ximagic, PTLens...) the filenames say something about 32 or 64, sometimes (Neat Image) you have 2 plugins with the same filename and have to care yourself to store them in different folders.
Partha
Mitglied

Beitrag von Partha »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:
Partha hat geschrieben:As per your next response, how does one determine if a plugin is 32-bit or 64-bit?
Afaik only by the description that comes with the plugin. File type is always .8bf, most plugins are still only available for 32Bit, sometimes (Ximagic, PTLens...) the filenames say something about 32 or 64, sometimes (Neat Image) you have 2 plugins with the same filename and have to care yourself to store them in different folders.
I figured as much and tested the hypothesis. I tested this with Ximagic which I found to be helpful especially denoise.

My current default position is that by definition a plugin is 32-bit unless explicitly stated by the author.

One wishlist item for Gerhard would be to provide an API for user defined plugins. :)

You have been very helpful Hoogo. Many thanks!!
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hey, Partha, I use PL on Snow Leopard too. I just experiment with the plug-ins by having all the plug-ins I want to use in a folder which I have selected to be the source for plug-ins in the PL Prefs. Then start up PL in 64 bit mode and see what plug-ins you can see. Then quit, select PL in the finder, do "Get Info" and set it for to "Open in 32 bit mode". Launch, and see what plug-ins you can see. Quit, then do the Get Info again, set PL for 32 bit + Rosetta, launch, and see what plug-ins you can see again!!! :)

I have to admit that this is not totally reliable. I couldn't get Topaz Adjust 5 to appear after I installed the last Pl update, but after a few tries and messing around, it was suddenly there! Hallelujah, brother!!! And working fine too.

One I do seem to have lost is Noise Ninja. I really like that plug-in. I'm now relying on Topaz Adjust for noise control. It's pretty good, but . . .

Cheers, geoff
Partha
Mitglied

Beitrag von Partha »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:Hey, Partha, I use PL on Snow Leopard too. I just experiment with the plug-ins by having all the plug-ins I want to use in a folder which I have selected to be the source for plug-ins in the PL Prefs. Then start up PL in 64 bit mode and see what plug-ins you can see. Then quit, select PL in the finder, do "Get Info" and set it for to "Open in 32 bit mode". Launch, and see what plug-ins you can see. Quit, then do the Get Info again, set PL for 32 bit + Rosetta, launch, and see what plug-ins you can see again!!! :)
I see what you mean. I just think it's quite unwieldy. There must be a way to read the plugin signature. I suppose on the Mac you can try to see if "info filename.8bf" works or not. No such easy way on Windows.
I have to admit that this is not totally reliable. I couldn't get Topaz Adjust 5 to appear after I installed the last Pl update, but after a few tries and messing around, it was suddenly there! Hallelujah, brother!!! And working fine too.

One I do seem to have lost is Noise Ninja. I really like that plug-in. I'm now relying on Topaz Adjust for noise control. It's pretty good, but . . .

Cheers, geoff
I am sorry you lost Noise Ninja. Have you tried http://www.ximagic.com/d_index.html ?

Thanks Geoff!
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Partha,

It appears you have found how to set up your plugins, but just in case you haven't completely resolved that issue...

In Windows

Go to

Edit-> Options -> Extended -> Plug-In Modules and then browse to find the directories where the plugins are installed.

For most of the big-brand plugins, the installer attempts to place the plugins in the default location designated by one or more of PhotoLine's competitors. It can become a headache very quickly if you have multiple editors and install a lot of plugins.

In my opinion, the best approach is to do a custom install and place all your plugins in a single folder (most will create their own subfolder), then in PhotoLine all you have to do is select one folder (and its subfolders by checking a box in the PL setup) to manage your plugins.

The latest versions of the major-brand plugins are being released in both x32 and x64. At least one company has released x64 versions of some older plugins and has offered those free of charge to customers who purchased the x32 versions.

PhotoLine does a great job of running certain plugins as part of recorded actions.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
Partha
Mitglied

Beitrag von Partha »

Thanks Bob! Yes, I did figure it out.

You also mentioned major brand plugins? Would be great if you can tell me which one.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Partha hat geschrieben:Thanks Bob! Yes, I did figure it out.

You also mentioned major brand plugins? Would be great if you can tell me which one.
Partha, if you'll do a Google search using the name of PhotoLine's major competitor with "plugin," the leading plugin companies will generally come up near the top of the search. Those that work in PhotoLine actions are usually the newest versions and are designed to work in actions as well as a single image. Of course, these are plugins that apply to the full image, not selections.

PhotoLine will not be listed as a supported photo editor, but the plugin will usually work. The Topaz Labs plugins operate very well in PhotoLine, including as part of an action. The Nik software plugins are designed to be included in actions, although I haven't tested those.

Virtually all of the plugins can be downloaded for a 30-day trial. So, try before you decide to buy.

It's also best to know what the purpose of the plugin will be and how much you will use it before you buy. Sometimes PhotoLine can perform the same function. Some of the plugins can be very expensive.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.