How to split multipage document to TIFF or PLD pages?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Sergey Sorokopudov

How to split multipage document to TIFF or PLD pages?

Beitrag von Sergey Sorokopudov »

Hi

I have a multipage PLD document and need to split it to single pages in order to delivery them to the photo lab without recalculation of the files on their sides.
So far I've found the following export options in PL (PL 17.11, MacOS X Lion 10.7.5):
1) PDF - produces multi-pages document. Not a good option for me, because my lab will automatically recalculate pages on upload when splitting the file.
2) TIFF multipage - not supported by the lab.
3) Layout -> Page -> Save Pages - produces another PLD file if a range of pages is provided.
4) Don't use multi-page documents, use multiply single files.

Currently I'm workaround this by doing single page by page save using option 3). Which is good for one time case (around 50-100 pages), but I'm looking for an automatic way...

Or shall I switch to option 4? :-)
akeller
Mitglied

Re: How to split multipage document to TIFF or PLD pages?

Beitrag von akeller »

futue te ipsam
Zuletzt geändert von akeller am Sa 09 Nov 2013 22:44, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

pdftk also exists for Mac OS X (and works well if you don't mind using the terminal): http://www.pdftk.com.

But you can even write a simple Automator action for this (at least under Mac OS 10.8.2). I've included one — it should open with Automator, just press the play button, and it will ask for a pdf and extract the pages to the desktop.

EDIT: Of course, then you need a PL batch action to convert the single page pdfs into tiffs.

There's also tiffsplit which is part of the libtiff distribution (available e.g. via MacPorts) which does the same with tiffs.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

OK, Burkhard gave me the inspiration to search a little bit more :lol:
With ImageMagick (freeware for all OS) it is also possible to split a multi page tiff-file:

Code: Alles auswählen

convert multipage.tif single%d.tif
Cheers,
Andreas
Sergey Sorokopudov

Thank you guys,I'll check that options - especially with tifsplit.
Automator function uses some re-calculation, which is not documented properly and is out of my control in terms of quality settings to manipulate with conversion. I hope that tifsplit just works with set of bytes inside multipage file in order to create the files without recalculation.
In general, I do understand that I'm trying to "save just 2-3% of overall quality" by eliminating redundant conversion - but sometimes I really need them :-))).

BUT, I'm still looking for the answer - do we have a native PL function for such task?
I'm new to the PL program and trying to optimize my workflows with it, minimizing set of other programs/automator/etc..

If answer is NO, I'll investigate out-of-PL split tools in details.

Thank you,
Sergey
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Hello Sergey,
Sergey Sorokopudov hat geschrieben:BUT, I'm still looking for the answer - do we have a native PL function for such task?
I'm afraid there is no build in function for this task in PL.

Andreas
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Seems the PL developers followed the discussion and added single page pld export to the latest beta version. Use "Save Page(s) …" and check the "single pages" checkbox at the bottom. You can then use PL's Batch Convert … to convert the single PLD pages into whatever format.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Sergey Sorokopudov

I've downloaded and have a look at this feature - works good, thanks!

--Sergey
Sergey Sorokopudov

Looks like I found a bug with split pages functionality in the Beta version 17.50B16 (MacOS 10.7.5). Not sure how to properly post it, will do here.

I've got 46 pages document and exported using Layout -> Page -> Save Pages.
I've set From page to 1, To page to 46, clicked on Single Page check-box (marked ON). Didn't change the name in Save As (by default).
As the result: only 45 pages were exported (No Name-P0.pld,...., No Name-P44.pld).
I've select once again the Layout -> Page -> Save Pages and set From 46, To 46, Single Page is still ON. Click on Save - no new file is produced.
I've repeat the same once again (From 46, to 46) but this time with Single Page OFF. This time the file for the last page appeared.

Not a big issue with with workaround, could you pls look and fix in a final version.

Thank you,
Sergey
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Sergey Sorokopudov hat geschrieben:Looks like I found a bug with split pages functionality in the Beta version 17.50B16 (MacOS 10.7.5). Not sure how to properly post it, will do here.
In general, the best place to report problems with the beta version is the beta tester forum. I'm not sure if you can post there, though.

In any case, I can reproduce your problem here (Mac OS 10.8.2) — an even simpler fix is just to enter the range from 1 to 47 (in your case).

Cheers

Burkhard.