Tiny Planet images -- Polar projection

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Tiny Planet images -- Polar projection

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben:Very close to what I thought (just without the mirroring), and easily done with PL. Place two copies of the original image side by side, one above the other. Stretch to twice the width and apply the polar conversion, then crop to the size of the original image.
Hey, Burkhard,
I can't get the same result you did. The closest I can get is a vertical image. Would you mind giving a precise, detailed, step-by-step explanation of the procedure? Thanks.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

photoken hat geschrieben: I can't get the same result you did. The closest I can get is a vertical image. Would you mind giving a precise, detailed, step-by-step explanation of the procedure? Thanks.
Here's what I did – I hope you don't mind me using your cows.

1. Make a copy (virtual, if you like) of the image layer.
2. Scale the layer to 200% horizonally. The screen should look like this now (you may have to zoom out and select View -> Show Border Content to see the image part beyond the image border)
step 1.jpg
3. Make a copy of that layer and place it above the one you already have. (You can use Layout -> Alignment -> Move Layers to Vertical Borders to do that.)
step 2.jpg
4. Select both layers (in the layer panel) and use Layer -> Merge Layers to combine the two images into one image layer.
5. Apply "Polar Coordinates". You should get the following.
step 5.jpg
(To be continued, only three attachments allowed here).
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

6. Now center the layer in the image (manually, or use Layout -> Alignment -> Horizontal Centre Align and Vertical Centre Align) and (optionally) "Layer -> Flatten Image". Alternatively, you can just crop the middle part.
step 6.jpg
I've attached an action which performs these steps. (Remember, use "Merge" when loading that action, otherwise it will replace all your previous actions.) Due to a bug (remember, this is still beta), currently the action will stop after step 5, so you'll still have to do step 6 manually. The developers promised to fix this bug in the next beta.

Btw., this is what I originally thought the "wrap" would produce (just flip the bottom layer vertically after step 3):
alternative.jpg
Cheers

Burkhard.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Hi Burkhard,
Excellent! Thanks so much for the instructions and action -- it works great. I also learned a lot about manipulating layers, etc.

The alternate result achieved by flipping the lower layer vertically seems like it should be much more useful than either the "Wrap", "Repeat" or "Color" modes (options 1, 2, and 3) that I mentioned in my earlier message....

Just for the helluvit, I first used the straighten tool on the original image to align the extreme left and right edges of the grassy field, then applied the Generate Pattern to it so I'd get absolutely smooth transitions in the final image:
cows 01 polar.png
I don't think the cows mind. :)

Thanks again.
Ken
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Saaaayyy, this is fun! Here's what happens when that Polar image is run through the Make Circular effect with a setting of -118%:
cows 01 a.png
Ken