Brush Softness

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Alan9940
Mitglied

Brush Softness

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Hello All:

I've been playing around with all the various brush settings--double-click on the brush icon below toolbar to bring up brush editor--but, I can seem to get a really soft brush edge even with Inner Radius set to 0.0. Over in Tool Settings with the brush selected, I really don't understand what checking "Smooth" and changing count & weight gets me. I've checked it, moved the sliders all around, painted with a black brush on a white background, but still don't see much difference.

Is it possible to get a really soft brush like what I'd have in Photoshop with feather set to 100%? Based on what I've seen so far, an Inner Radius of 0.0 in PL appears to be about equal to a 10 - 20% feather in Photoshop; not nearly as soft as what I'm looking for...I want an undetectable edge. Can I get this?

Thanks, again, for all your help. Sorry, I know I'm a newbie, but I'll get there one day! :)

Best regards,
AlanH
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Brush Softness

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Yes, you can, but you will need to change the curve to a hollow one. An extreme hollow curve will give you a very soft brush. Check out this screengrab:
Untitled.jpg
Btw, the "smooth" option has nothing to do with the brush smoothness - it allows for more smooth looking strokes with less jitter.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

You can see smooth in action hen you choose a small, hard brush.
Draw something jaggy without "smooth".
Then enable smooth with a high value for count and draw again.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Alan9940 hat geschrieben:Is it possible to get a really soft brush like what I'd have in Photoshop with feather set to 100%?
In the default brush list the first soft brushes have a softness, that is quite similar.

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Yes, you can, but you will need to change the curve to a hollow one. An extreme hollow curve will give you a very soft brush. Check out this screengrab:
Untitled.jpg
Btw, the "smooth" option has nothing to do with the brush smoothness - it allows for more smooth looking strokes with less jitter.
O only just woke up to this the other day. Doh! :?

Works very well.

Cheers, geoff
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

@Herbert123

OK, thanks to your mention of the curve and how it affects the gradient of the brush I have now played around with the various brush settings and creating my own curve, and now have brush characteristics very close to a 0% hardness brush in Photoshop. Thank you.

Question though: I see that there's a "name" box under the curve in the Brush Editor. Does this name the custom curve I created or the brush? Or, has nothing to do with anything? :) I looked in the manual but can't find any mention of this specific box. Is it possible to name this brush or have it show up in the Brush List such that all parameters could easily be set at a later time?

@Martin

The predefined soft brushes on the Brush List are not soft enough for what I'm looking for, but thanks for mentioning this panel.

Best regards,
AlanH
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Alan9940 hat geschrieben:Question though: I see that there's a "name" box under the curve in the Brush Editor. Does this name the custom curve I created or the brush? Or, has nothing to do with anything? :) I looked in the manual but can't find any mention of this specific box. Is it possible to name this brush or have it show up in the Brush List such that all parameters could easily be set at a later time?
You can drag the brush from the Toolbox to the Brush List (or use copy and paste using the context menus) – the string in the "name" box will be visible as a tool tip in the Brush List when the mouse is over the brush, and it's used if you switch the brush list to text mode. Btw., you can also add/modify brushes in the Brush List (also via the context menu) including their names.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Hello Burkhard,

Thanks for the tip! Got my new soft brush living on the Brush List now for quick and easy access! Yay!!

Btw, just to verify something I've noticed with the brush... My custom soft brush has Steps set to 10%. I know from the manual that this number represents a percentage of the brush size, but I've noticed that as the brush size increases I have to drop the steps a couple percentage points to maintain a smooth draw. Does this sound about right or is there tips-n-tricks to the Steps percentage that I haven't seen yet?

Thanks, again.

Best regards,
AlanH
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Hello Burkhard,

I should have added in my prior post that I've also noticed a correlation between the Steps setting and the feather (gradient) of the brush. As I lower the Steps percentage the swipe of a large brush becomes smoother, but the feather seems to get narrower, too. If I have Steps set to 0%, I get a very smooth tracking for the brush; however, the feather is now too narrow for what I'm looking for in a very soft brush. Therefore, any hints you might provide along these lines would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best regards,
AlanH
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Alan9940 hat geschrieben:I should have added in my prior post that I've also noticed a correlation between the Steps setting and the feather (gradient) of the brush. As I lower the Steps percentage the swipe of a large brush becomes smoother, but the feather seems to get narrower, too.
This is normal – a "line" created by a brush consists of individual dots – and "step" is the distance between these dots (relative to the dot size). Just set "step" to 50% or 100% and you'll see how it works. Now if there is a lot of overlap between these dots (i.e., a small "step" value), then a pixel will be painted several times, effectively resulting in a harder edge when drawing lines. So if you need lines with soft edges and small step size, you'll have to adjust the curve accordingly – and avoid a step size of 0.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Hello Burkhard,

Thank you for the clarification. That is, basically, the way I thought the brush works...it's a delicate balance between step percentage (how the dots are laid down) and the curve shape to control the gradient between inner & outer radius. I did run the Steps slider to each extreme to see what affect this control had and did observe the spacing of the dots with higher percentage values. Being a long-time Photoshop user, I guess I'm not used to having this much control over my brushes. Very cool, though!

Best regards,
AlanH