Best Technique for Creation of B&W Frame

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Best Technique for Creation of B&W Frame

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

I am searching for the best method to add a simple black and white frame that can be either saved as a preset or recorded in an action.

The Frame tool in the Effects menu contains many presets for special purposes but none suitable for a tasteful black line -- white line border/frame to add to an image. None of the presets appears open to modification to produce the effect.

I also tried using Layer Resize, but that method does not work in an action because it doesn't appear to have a Relative adjustment.

I'm sure there's something simple here that I have missed.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Best Technique for Creation of B&W Frame

Beitrag von photoken »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:The Frame tool in the Effects menu contains many presets for special purposes but none suitable for a tasteful black line -- white line border/frame to add to an image. None of the presets appears open to modification to produce the effect.
Start with the "3D/Simple" frame preset, de-select the Shadow, and modify the Frame Inside:
frame 3D simple black.png
By applying that Frame style twice, using different colours and widths, you can achieve the effect of a matted image:
frame example.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Torsten
Mitglied

Beitrag von Torsten »

I have here an action that leaves the image to your size, 10 pixels creates a wide border around the image and you can choose the color of the border.

I hope you can understand the English 8)

Cheers Torsten
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:I also tried using Layer Resize, but that method does not work in an action because it doesn't appear to have a Relative adjustment.
You can use formula mode instead. If you want a 1% border on each side, and want both sides equal, use "w + 2*round(w*.01)" and "h + 2*round(h*.01)" for width and height (the round thing makes sure that the same number of pixels is added on both sides). The number 0.01 is just the 1% border, use 0.02 for a 2 percent border, or 0.1 for a 10% border … Just use the "center horizontally" and "center vertically" for the position formulae. Repeat with another colour to achieve a double frame.

There's a slight problem if you use this with very small images: the frame will alwasy have an integer pixel width, so a frame around a 149 px image will be 1 px wide, while the frame for a 150 px image will be 2 px wide. Visually very different. You'd have to use antialiasing, then. To achieve that, I'd put a properly scaled vector layer underneath your image layer. I'd still create the outer frame using "Change Document Size …".

Cheers

Burkhard.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Thanks, Ken, Torsten and Burkhard!

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben:I also tried using Layer Resize, but that method does not work in an action because it doesn't appear to have a Relative adjustment.
Aside from the formula mode, there is the mode "Resize", that works relative to the original size of the layer.
So with "Resize" a size of 2 x 2 and a position of 1 x 1 will create a one pixel wide frame around the layer.

Martin
ellhel
Mitglied

Beitrag von ellhel »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Aside from the formula mode, there is the mode "Resize", that works relative to the original size of the layer.
So with "Resize" a size of 2 x 2 and a position of 1 x 1 will create a one pixel wide frame around the layer.

Martin
Great Tipp.....Thanks
Frame Black_White_Black.actions
Regards
Helmut
PhotoLine 21 & Betas, Win-10 Pro 64-bit, ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018, Dxo Optics Pro 9, Panasonic DMC-G6
"Der Nachteil der Intelligenz besteht darin, dass man ununterbrochen gezwungen ist, dazuzulernen."
George Bernard Shaw