Comparison: Combining monochrome images into colour image

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
photoken
Mitglied

Comparison: Combining monochrome images into colour image

Beitrag von photoken »

(I couldn't decide whether to post this comparison in the Tipps&Tricks forum or the Samples forum, so I put it here... :) )

I've done some experimenting with combining monochrome astrophotography images taken through filters into a full-colour image. Essentially, there are two ways to do this:
  • The relatively simple method of using the Change Channels function to add the monochrome images into the R, G, and B channels of the final image.
  • The more complicated method of using Load Layer (Thanks, bkh! :wink: ) to bring in each monochrome image as a separate layer, altering its colour mix, and blending the layers to achieve the full-colour image.
Here's a small JPG comparison of the results:
Andromeda comparison.jpg
(Image Acquisition by Jim Misti and Steve Mazlin)

The comparison of the layers used:
Andromeda layers comparison.jpg
I much prefer the result using layers -- there's a lot more control over the colours and details. It was easy using the Layers method to get a nice, neutral black background.

The original images are FITS images from this site:
http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/index_fits.htm

The FITS images were processed and saved as TIF images using the (free) FITS Liberator program:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/projects/fits_liberator/

Each of the 4 original FITS images and the four 16-bit monochrome TIF images created by FITS Liberator are 4,000px by 2,600px and a 21Mb file size. The "Channels" PLD file is 75Mb, and the "Layers" PLD file is 101Mb. (Each of the adjustment layers was set to 16-bit.)
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Comparison: Combining monochrome images into colour image

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Once we had another threadabout astro photography, it's in German, though.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Comparison: Combining monochrome images into colour image

Beitrag von photoken »

Hoogo,
Thanks for the link to the previous discussion. I also did some experimenting to reduce noise (with a different image), and rather than trying to create a mask, I found it much easier to use PL's Remove Noise function followed by one of the sharpening methods. Of course, the best method to remove noise would be to use RawTherapee's wavelets processing....
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.