Prob: Paint tool Tablet option "Color" starts stroke with a blob

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
photoken
Mitglied

Prob: Paint tool Tablet option "Color" starts stroke with a blob

Beitrag von photoken »

Win7 Pro x64 SP1
PL 19.03 x64 (also PL 19.40b15 x64)

When using the Painting tool with a Wacom Intuos graphics tablet, and setting the "Tablet" properties in the Tool Settings to "Color", painting from very light pressure to very heavy pressure creates a blob of the foreground colour at the beginning of the stroke:
brush blob.jpg
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Open an RGB image (JPG).
  2. Select the Painting tool.
  3. Use the default black foreground colour and white background colour.
  4. In the Tool Settings for the Painting tool, set the "Tablet" option to "Color".
  5. Begin painting, starting with a very light pen pressure and gradually increase the pen pressure.
Result:
The paint stroke starts with a blob of the black foreground colour before abrubtly switching to the white background colour.

Expected result:
Painting with very light pressure should start with the background colour.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
cathodeRay
Mitglied

Re: Prob: Paint tool Tablet option "Color" starts stroke with a blob

Beitrag von cathodeRay »

Seconded: I mentioned something similar the other day (and I was also using a Wacom Intuos Tablet). Set the brush to have a very fuzzy edge. Dabbing works as expected, but drawing a line causes the brush to become much harder and less fuzzy edged. It may be a tablet intensity effect, but I don't think so (I was careful not to increase the pen pressure).

cathodeRay
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

No such problems here (OS X 10.11.3, Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch). Btw., if you increase the step size of the brush, the problem should be even more visible. Does this happen with smoothing on and off?

Burkhard.
cathodeRay
Mitglied

Beitrag von cathodeRay »

Burkhard - forgot to mention my experience was with the copy brush, but similar unexpected (and unfortunate) behaviour. Windows XP (yes, I know) SP3, Intuos 3 tablet. Identical behaviour using a standard (not the Intuos) mouse. Image below hopefully self-explanatory:
Not so fuzzy after all.jpg
cathodeRay
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

cathodeRay hat geschrieben:Burkhard - forgot to mention my experience was with the copy brush, but similar unexpected (and unfortunate) behaviour.
Also ok here. (But it's different OS and different Wacom drivers, either of which could be the reason). What happens if you set the tablet option to "brush size"? Is the first dab at full brush size as well, even at very low pressure?

Anybody with a Bamboo tablet on Windows or an Intuos on OS X, to try which variants work and which don't? I think that the developers are not too well equipped with tablets.

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben: Does this happen with smoothing on and off?
Both. Turning smoothing on or off makes no difference -- the first light touch of the pen always creates a blob of the black foreground colour before the increasing pen pressure abrubtly switches the colour to the white background colour.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
cathodeRay
Mitglied

Beitrag von cathodeRay »

Burkhard - as mentioned, I get exactly the same behaviour with a standard mouse, so I don't think it is a Wacom/Wacom drivers thing. In the image below, the blobs on the RH edge were created using a standard non-Wacom mouse, and are the same as those created with the pen set to Only Eraser. If I set the pen to Brush Size, light touches have no effect. Firmer pressure cause a smaller than Only Eraser pen setting, but drawing a line still immediately becomes dense and harsh - the blobs at the bottom.
Not so fuzzy after all.jpg
cathodeRay
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

cathodeRay hat geschrieben:Burkhard - as mentioned, I get exactly the same behaviour with a standard mouse, so I don't think it is a Wacom/Wacom drivers thing. In the image below, the blobs on the RH edge were created using a standard non-Wacom mouse, and are the same as those created with the pen set to Only Eraser. If I set the pen to Brush Size, light touches have no effect. Firmer pressure cause a smaller than Only Eraser pen setting, but drawing a line still immediately becomes dense and harsh - the blobs at the bottom.
If it happens with a standard mouse as well, then it's probably unrelated to Ken's problem. My guess is that this is the usual effect which you get when the step size for the brush is too small. Too many single dabs cause the border to become too harsh. Usually values between 10% and 20% work well with soft brushes. If you copy your brush settings to the ordinary brush, it will probably behave similarly.

Cheers

Burkhard.
cathodeRay
Mitglied

Beitrag von cathodeRay »

Aha! Hidden settings! Although there's not option to set the step size in the Copy Brush's Tool Settings panel, I'd forgotten you can also set the step size in the Brush Editor. Doing so got a much better, softer result, think it is a bit delicate - much over 20 (% of the brush size), and I start to get regular blotchiness ie it's turning into a dotted line. Using a pen/tablet and setting it to Size and Intensity helps, though, by allowing finer control.

cathodeRay