NIK filters now FREE

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
greenmorpher
Mitglied

NIK filters now FREE

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hello all

Google has concluded it can make much more money developing mobile apps than continuing development of the NIK filter collection -- so they have made it free (and even will send refunds to anyone who bought this year!).

Check here (see the note at the very top of the page).

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I'm downloading now -- 590MB but a fast link even on my crapola 3G connection.

But 590MB -- as ever, I see these things and I marvel at the wonderful efficiency of the code the brothers write for PL -- a 27MB download that expands to less than 70MB. Amazing! :shock:

Cheers, Geoff
brucet
Mitglied

Re: NIK filters now FREE

Beitrag von brucet »

FWIW worth I downloaded the Nik Collection. Tried to install them on both Corel PSPx7 and Photoline. They crashed PSPx7 every time. Work just fine on Photoline.

Thanks Photoline.

regards
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Hiya brucet

How did you install them with PhotoLine? I tried on OS X 9.4 and PL 19.50. They didn't see PL for the isntallation, and PL is not seeing them when I point to their folder.

Cheers, Geoff
brucet
Mitglied

Beitrag von brucet »

All I did was -
Open PL.
Filters/Manage Plugins. Browse. Look for Google/Nik Collection. Open.
Tick the left box.
Hit Apply.
Hit OK.

Everything went that easy!

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Just a reminder: PL has only 4 fields for specifying plugin directories, and the developers have stated that it won't get any more.

You'll run out of room if you keep listing the specific directories for each set of plugins.

What I've done is create two plugin directories that contain all the plugins, and only need to list those top-level parent directories in PL's Options:
D:\Program Files\Bitmap Plugins x64
D:\Program Files (x86)\Bitmap Plugins

If the plugin is simply a couple of 8BF files, they get chucked directly into those directories. For plugins that have a directory structure of their own (like the Nik Collection, or KPT Collection, or Digimarc), I install their directory structure under those general plugin directories.

Works like a charm, and makes it easy to also use the plugins in other programs by simply listing those parent directories in the other programs.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Falaffel
Mitglied

Beitrag von Falaffel »

The NIK TOols should better be registered as external programs than plugins in PL.
Grüße
Robert
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Falaffel hat geschrieben:The NIK TOols should better be registered as external programs than plugins in PL.
No. As plugins they can be used to affect only areas that are marked by a lasso. That's not the case if they're used as external programs.
Ken
brucet
Mitglied

Beitrag von brucet »

There is another way! I have some plugins loaded into an external program. ie in PSPx7 I have the Topaz plugins. So in theory I can use Topaz plugins by opening PSP via the external program route. Then use them within PSP. The skipping back to PL. Messy? Yes. But it does give options.

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Just a note: that Nik Collection noticeably slows the loading of PhotoLine. When I moved the Nik directory out of my plugins directory, PL starts instantly without any lag.
Ken
brucet
Mitglied

Beitrag von brucet »

Noticed that also Ken. But it's only a 1 or 2 second delay. I can live with that.

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

I'll just keep the Nik directory as a separate plugin directory listed in PL's Options without enabling that directory. Whenever I want to use the things, enabling that directory give me instant access to them. So, I can have the best of both worlds.
Ken
greenmorpher
Mitglied

brucet hat geschrieben:All I did was -
Open PL.
Filters/Manage Plugins. Browse. Look for Google/Nik Collection. Open.
Tick the left box.
Hit Apply.
Hit OK.

Everything went that easy!

regards
Amazing, Bruce, it just wouldn’t happen for me no matter what I did. PL just couldn't see them.

BUT when I added the NIK filters as programs, PL listed them as External programs -- and they work fine.

So I don’t know -- but it works. :?

Thanks
geoff
maxwell
Mitglied

Beitrag von maxwell »

Hi Geoff,

you have to choose as the plugin directory "c:\programs\google\Nik Collection", then the plugins will work.

Josef
greenmorpher
Mitglied

maxwell hat geschrieben:Hi Geoff,

you have to choose as the plugin directory "c:\programs\google\Nik Collection", then the plugins will work.

Josef
That looks like Windows to me, Josef. I'm on Mac.

Cheers, Geoff
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:How did you install them with PhotoLine? I tried on OS X 9.4 and PL 19.50. They didn't see PL for the isntallation, and PL is not seeing them when I point to their folder.
If you don't have PS, by default, the NIK collection installer doesn't install the PS plugins. I just re-ran the installer, and at the "Compatible Host Applications" step, I used the "+" button to add a plugin folder – could be one of the folders already searched by PL, or just any folder, you can move it/add it to the PL plugin folders alter. Just make sure that the "Search in folders" option is on in PL's Preferences -> Extended -> Plug-in modules as the NIK installer adds several subfolders for the various plugins. PL even recognised the modules when I added the path, I didn't even have to quit and restart PL.