Keyboard shortcuts not working.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Bogdan
Mitglied

Keyboard shortcuts not working.

Beitrag von Bogdan »

Hi!
I am testing the trial version and i notice that switching between different tools using keys is not working.
For example: I assigned C for crop tool and when i press Q to go back to layer tool nothing happens.
bkh
Betatester

Re: Keyboard shortcuts not working.

Beitrag von bkh »

Seems to work here. What PL version and OS version are you using? Did you properly assign the "q" shortcut to the Layer Tool? (I tend to forget to press the "Assign" button after entering the keystroke). Select another tool and check if "c" gets you to the Crop Tool – does that work?

Cheers

Burkhard.
Bogdan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Bogdan »

Hi Burkhard, I am using PL 19.51 with Windows 10. Yes, i pressed the "Assign" button.
I noticed another thing, If i press inside the viewport the Hotkey works.
Example: I switch to Layer tool, i click at least once in the viewport, and then if i switch to crop tool it works. But switching between tools without clicking inside the viewport will not work.
Is this normal?
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

I'm using the OS X version, and there, I can jump back and forth between layer tool and crop tool using "c" and "q". Should be the normal behaviour on Windows as well. Perhaps somebody on Windows can have a try? (Have a look at where the keyboard focus is: if it's on a text box, drop down menu or similar, then "c" and "q" are interpreted as ordinary characters.)

Btw., I just noticed that keyboard shortcuts for the toolbox seem not to work if no document is open (while you can still switch tools using the GUI).

Cheers

Burkhard.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Bogdan hat geschrieben:Example: I switch to Layer tool, i click at least once in the viewport, and then if i switch to crop tool it works. But switching between tools without clicking inside the viewport will not work.
I can't reproduce that here on Windows.
I assigned "C" to the crop tool, opened an image and selected the layer tool with the mouse. Now typing "C" selects the crop tool. I don't have to explicitly click inside the document window (if you mean that by "viewport").
Bogdan hat geschrieben:Is this normal?
Well, no. But - just as Burkhard said - using simple keys as shortcuts has some restrictions:
- If the input focus on a text field, they won't work.
- If you are currently editing a text layer using the text tool, they won't work.
- If the input focus is on a windows standard control (button or combobox), it may not work, if the windows control is consuming the key down itself.

Martin
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

bkh hat geschrieben:Btw., I just noticed that keyboard shortcuts for the toolbox seem not to work if no document is open (while you can still switch tools using the GUI).
At least here on 10.12 they usually work fine without document. Only if I manage to put the input focus on a OS control, it won't work.

Martin
Bogdan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Bogdan »

Yes, by viewport i mean document. And if there's no document open to click on, i can't switch between tools using hotkeys.
- If the input focus on a text field, they won't work
. - No, i am not testing with text tool, i have no text fields.
- If you are currently editing a text layer using the text tool, they won't work.
- I tested only with raster layers with or without transparency.
- If the input focus is on a windows standard control (button or combobox), it may not work, if the windows control is consuming the key down itself.
- -- The cursor is over the document area when i am testing.

This thing happens also between Q and M which are standard hotkeys.

Martin, are you using windows 10 ?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Bogdan hat geschrieben:
- -- The cursor is over the document area when i am testing.
The mouse cursor isn't really important. On Windows any control (button, combobox, listfield) can have that input focus which means, that any keyboard input will be directed to that control. Sadly for buttons and comboboxes it is hard to see whether it has the input focus. In listfields the selection is blue, if it has the input focus. Otherwise it is gray.
Bogdan hat geschrieben:Martin, are you using windows 10 ?
Yes, we were trying windows 10, too.

Martin
Bogdan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Bogdan »

I checked on my work computer, which also runs Windows 10, and I have the same problem.
I'm not doing anythings special, after install I usually switch zooming to mouse wheel and customize some hotkeys. I can see that the hotkey is assigned correctly, the letter is shown in the tooltip when i hover over the button.

If you have any ideas about what should i test and what might go wrong please let me know. I really like the software, I want to switch from Photoshop.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Bogdan hat geschrieben:If you have any ideas about what should i test and what might go wrong please let me know.
I don't have any idea at the moment. It works fine here.

Even if I explicitly set the input focus to an OS control (e.g. the percent value of the Magnifier palette (View > Dialogs > Magnifier)), opening a file automatically sets the input focus to the new document and the shortcuts work. And it doesn't matter how open the document: recent file list, Windows explorer, Open command or browse panel. Is this different on your computer? Do shortcuts work directly after opening a document?

Did you install any kind of special software (user interface enhancer or something like that)?

Do any other people here in the forum have this kind of problem?

Martin
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do any other people here in the forum have this kind of problem?
Sort of, here on Win10 x64 using PL 19.51 x64 (and the latest beta). I'm using the default hotkey assignments.

Whether an image is open or not is irrelevant to my results.

I always "park" the active tool as being the Layer Tool when closing PL, so when PL opens there is no active input field in the Tool Settings panel. I can then hit any hotkey and that tool will be selected in the toolbox. However, the Tool Settings panel gets the focus, and because there usually is an entry field active in that Tool Settings panel, pressing another hotkey will not choose a different tool in the toolbox. The hotkey character will be used as input to the active entry field. This is exactly as you described.

Sometimes it is impossible to tell that an entry field is active in the Tool Settings panel because the entry field is not always a text entry, which might be causing the OP his distress. For example, if I hit "M" to select the Finger Tool, pressing "A" will not switch to the Copy Brush and Win10 plays the Error sound. In this case, the active entry field in the Tool Settings panel is the checkbox for "Merged Copy" -- this can be confirmed by hitting the Spacebar and seeing the checkbox become checked.

If I always first click on the Layer List panel to remove the focus from the Tool Settings panel, the hotkeys for the Toolbox will always work as expected.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Bogdan hat geschrieben:This thing happens also between Q and M which are standard hotkeys.
After trying that on a different computer, we can reproduce the problem with Q and M. We will check that.

Martin