Photline on DPreview

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Photline on DPreview

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I asked a question on DPReview. Thought folks here may be interested in the responses.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58459821

I'm trying to let it go with out pushing any arguments for or against.

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Photline on DPreview

Beitrag von photoken »

Not a lot to be said for the comments you got, I'm afraid. :(

Either the respondents never heard of PL or looked at it for a couple of minutes and uninstalled it. Nothing terribly useful about those comments....

Other responses come from those who have already spent their money on Photoshop and don't see the need to use an editor that has many of the same features, which is kind of a self-fulfilling "criticism".

Far more uplifting are the comments from two users who recognize that it takes time to understand the benefits of an unfamiliar program. Hats off to them for being willing to take a look at PL that is fair and honest, and I hope they will take advantage of the advice available from the users here. :D
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Ken it just goes to show that there is a mental block and a fan based loyalty. I'm surprised at those who installed, looked and uninstalled. How can you gain anything with out looking?
I gave up a few times with PL. But remembered I also gave up with PSP. And AfterShotPro. And ....... many others.
It's interesting though that folks seem to place a high emphasis on UI. Yes it would be great to have a UI that suited ME. But I'm not everyone.
Few have mentioned performance, features or output results. All of which I would make a priority over UI. Then I know I'm a bit 'strange'!!!

I shall wait and see what other comments come as a few other give PL the thumbs up. Keep in mind the many users of Elements. And yet Elements is missing some key features. So what does that tell you?

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Bruce,
Yes, it's always a bit...strange...to see the reasons folks give for not using a piece of software.

The UI is important for me, however, and it was Adobe's decision several years ago to ruin the PhotoShopElements UI by eliminating the dark interface (among other disastrous UI changes) that sent me on my quest which led to PaintShopPro and ultimately to PhotoLine.

PhotoShopElements has a nice feature set for simple image editing and I think that's what accounts for its large number of users -- most people just want to do something simple.

One way to look at image editors is in terms of their range: PhotoShopElements can only do the simple stuff, PSP has a range of simple to medium complexity, and PL and PS have a range from the simple to the extremely sophisticated. What I like about PL is that it makes that entire range easy to do.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

UI doesn't interest me a whole lot. As long as I know my way around it. Dark is better.

The whole 'which editor' debate is way toooo simplistic. First we need to ask what you 'need' the editor for. Keeping in mind that the vast majority of folks just want a photo editor. While others want the whole tool box to create all sorts of wonderful creations. Ask most users about raster v vector layers. Heck even ask them about layers. 8 bit v 16 bit even 32 bit. My point is that what we all want and what we all need has so many variables.
So when some says 'it's great' or 'it's terrible' ask them what they are trying to do with their editor.

I still think it's a very dangerous path to venture down trying to provide everything to everyone. Find a target market and do it well. IMHO a fast reliable editor with the ability to add plugins and external editors is the way to go. That's why I love PL. Does most things I want fast and well. But also allows me to skip to my favourite tools. There again I'm mostly using it for photo editing and some creativity.

regards
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hiya Bruce

Nice try! I inhabit the m43 and Open Talk forums mainly and drop in mention of PL whenever it is appropriate; always mentioning when I post pix that I PP in PL.

P'Shop is like a drug, though. People won't look beyond it. It is used in image training throughout the world. Lots of challengers were there, but P'shop has seen them off although at various times, it was not the best -- and for a lot of purposes, it still is not, particularly if you look at value for money.

Before I began using PL, I did all my work in Canvas. ACDSee bought Canvas and stopped support for the Mac version at Canvas X some 10 years ago. I still use it for its unmatched integration of text, vector, raster, DTP, and web (and run OS X.6.8 so I can do that).

I remember when P'shop started providing slightly useful type facilities and P'shop devotees went into raptures. "But I have been doing that since forever with Canvas, and just a couple of months ago, you sneered at it," I said. The response? Just blank looks. If P'shop wasn't doing it, then it simply did not matter in the greater scheme of things.

That's what you're up against in a P'shop dominated forum like the one you tackled.

By the way, ACDSee has had some sort of Road to Damascus experience and is rebuilding Canvas for Mac. After 10 years. I am sorry to say they have to be headed for failure in their attempt to break into the market again. So much has happened and the base of users has moved on. I have moved to PL for raster and a little vector; I have moved to Sandvox for websites. I can't see myself going back to Canvas in its new clothes -- too little, too late.

Cheers, Geoff
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

I didn't read literally every comment, but I did read about 75% of 'em. In general, I would say that most of the comments were simply from misinformed folks who didn't want to spend the time required to dig into any new piece of software. I'll admit, having been a PS user for 16 years now (since v5) there are things I do in that software through muscle memory and, therefore, now find it easy to produce results that I seek. But, it was a steep climb to get to any level of proficiency!

PL is no different. Yes, one has to figure out some of the terminology used for certain functions...IMO the manual leaves a lot to be desired...and, there certainly aren't many (if any) tutorials to help new users learn the software. But, this forum exists and there are some extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks that hang out here. Every time I have the opportunity to mention PL I do, and I direct anyone giving it a try to this forum.

Do I use PL everyday? No. Do I use it often? Not really. But, through the help of folks here and perseverance I feel fairly comfortable with the software nowadays and there is specific functionality therein that I turn to when needed. I've tried most of the photo editors out there and, in general, each has a niche that provides something to some group of users. Basically, you pick your tools, learn each as best you can, then get on with the work!

Just my 2 cents...