Vector (and related) Questions from a New User

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
BobNewhart
Mitglied

Vector (and related) Questions from a New User

Beitrag von BobNewhart »

Greetings,

A few short questions from a new user. All pertain to (at least) the Windows version of Photoline, version 19.51.

1. Creating a new vector layer
“Vector” is not among the choices in the
“Layer” —> “New Layer” ([Alt]+[N]) —> [New] “Type:” “Type”
menu. Vector layers can only be created by converting an existing layer or by using a vector function (in which case they appear to appear auto-magically). Is this by design or an oversight?

2. Changing options after executing commands
Launching the
“Effects” —> “Effect Filter” —> “Tear Paper ...”
command — just as one example — causes “Tear Paper” dialog to appear. Once I click “[OK]”, the dialog disappears. There seems to be no way to make the dialog reappear so as to make changes. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help, and best regards to all!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Vector (and related) Questions from a New User

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

1) This is by design. Any of the other vector applications behave exactly the same. A vector layer is basically a vector object. I can't really see the point of creating an empty vector layer either - that said, if you really, for some obscure reason, require an empty vector layer: place a single point with the Curve Creation Tool, and hit the delete key. Faster and more efficient than an option in the new layer dialog.

2) In the beta version 95% of the remaining effects that used to be destructive can now be applied non-destructively. It should be coming out (fingers crossed) in the upcoming weeks. Some effects are implemented as "macros" that create a new object. The Tear Paper and Lightning effects are examples of these - once generated, the effect can no longer be edited via the dialog. It is possible to edit and adjust the generated objects in detail with the vector tools, however.

Otherwise, undo the effect (or remove the effect layers), and start over. I believe at this point only a few effects are left that function this way: the lightning effect, the frame effect, the tear effect, and picture on picture. The rest is non-destructive. Although technically these four are also non-destructive: the original layer is kept intact. But to change the settings, you will have to undo the effect and re-apply it.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
BobNewhart
Mitglied

Beitrag von BobNewhart »

Herbert123,

Just a short note to thank you for your very quick and helpful reply!

Kindest regards,
[My nom de guerre here]
chrischa
Mitglied

Beitrag von chrischa »

There is a command "Fit in vector layer" under Layout -> Vector. This command also appears, when I click the wheel-button / middle-button of the mouse (but I am not sure, if I modified this menu long time ago...)
Photoline 23 unter Windows 10/64 Bit
BobNewhart
Mitglied

Beitrag von BobNewhart »

Chrischa,

Just a short (and terribly tardy) note to thank you for your helpful information.

Cordially,
BN