Technology

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
bruce1951
Mitglied

Technology

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

A question?

There's another thread here on these forums that has debated stacking. All very interesting and much food for thought.
But I wonder. Just wonder if we are all relying too much on technology to solve our problems for us. Is there a point at which we can say enough is enough and return to our own skills and knowledge to solve problems? If technology keeps advancing will the day come when we will expect technology also to replace our creativity? Our experiments? Will we simply expect a programmer sitting in some dark little room to build a program that knows what we are trying to do and simply add another button to click on? (Presets and plugins are good examples. They contain nothing more than what we could do ourselves. They are simply short cuts).

I like new toys. But I fear that we are expecting too much. We are expecting a solution for all our problems when the problem is really us being too lazy to find our own solution. Members here have proven that they can find new ways to use what we already have.

I'm out of order. Out of step. And the odd one out. I get that. But I would rather have a bullet proof editor that allows me to be creative. Give me a Stacking feature but don't make it automatic. Give me the ability to experiment and be creative.

OK I'll now step off my soap box.

regards
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Technology

Beitrag von photoken »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: (Presets and plugins are good examples. They contain nothing more than what we could do ourselves. They are simply short cuts).
That's often true. But I am very selective about the plugins I install, so that I only get features that cannot be done within PL like Fast Fourier Transformations, Retinex, and the amazing capabilities of the KPT Collection.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben:But I would rather have a bullet proof editor that allows me to be creative.
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why PL is my image editor of choice.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben:Give me a Stacking feature but don't make it automatic. Give me the ability to experiment and be creative.
Going along with the previous quote, I don't even want to have an image stacking feature (yet) because there are several editing requests that are still out there that I feel are much more important.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
rail4you
Mitglied

Beitrag von rail4you »

My idea is : Creative first, Technology second. The image editors and plugins are the tools to help you improve your creative process. Tools are optional and not the heart of arts.

For example. I come from China and I like Chinese calligraphy. Sometimes I use a normal pen to write some words. This is a true creative process and I can't finish the same thing using softwares. This time, your brain and a pen can beat all of technology you have owned. The point is Chinese calligraphy uses space and special writing pattern to express your mind, this feeling is realtime so you can't mock them after writing(unlike create a logo or an ad).

I think some graphic design can share the same idea. Tool is used to repare some minor mistakes or enhance the color,they are not center of design.
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Sometimes we only focus on the tools and get lost.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I completely agree with you that creativity comes first. Software (technology) is merely a tool that we use to express ourselves.

But tools allow us improve and expand our potential creative endeavours: learning a 3d application, for example, offers new ways to express your ideas in ways we could not have imagined before the advent of 3d modeling and rendering software. Technology may also help us in quickly re-iterating our work.

The 'undo' option is simply unavailable to a traditional artist, and painting digitally is a much faster process than painting in oils on real canvas. That is not to say that one is superior over the other (which is definitely not the case) - merely that digital workflows provide different tools and approaches. As do traditional media - much cannot be emulated digitally. Working in real clay is a completely different experience compared to sculpting in a 3d sculpt app, and working in real media (after working for a long time with digital tools only) is often a breath of fresh air to me.

And I always start on paper for ideation - with simple blue and grey pencils. Don't worry about tools too much - use whatever works best for you to explore your creative ideas.

Of course, many people rely on instant gratification tools to convert their photos to 'paintings' for example. Nothing wrong with that - although the amount of skill and creativity involved are rather limited (to say the very least), on a fundamental level those people are still answering their inner muses to be creative and make things/art. Compare it to a five year old picking up a crayon for the first time, if you will. The best artists and designers all started out like that as well :D So who are we to deride their efforts?
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I love the painting presets in plugins such as Topaz Impressions. But I see them just as a starting point. It's just a bigger tool box with more fancy tools in it. Where folks get into trouble is when they rely on those tools/presets to do magical things without the inconvenience of using those pesky sliders.

A good example are the folks who hate Photomatix. Simply because they 'hate' the results of the standard presets. They simply ignore the fact that each and every preset comes with the ability of making adjustments.

As long as developers give me the ability to make my adjustments then I don't mind new tools. But don't just give me an automatic result that I can't play with. Same with cameras. I'm not interested in in camera HDR or Stacking. But do, please please do give me the tools to do it myself.

regards
Antworten