Not Responding

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Not Responding

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

When I do a Save or a Save As I have about a 6 second lag then I get a 'Not Responding' message for about 6 seconds. Then back to normal for a few seconds, it saves and then all is working fine again.
These are on approx 300meg PL files with 4-6 layers.
I was wondering if this is 'normal' for PL or is it my computer having a coffee break!

Not the end of the world but it does wear thin when doing a lot of Saves.

bruce
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Not Responding

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

that's quite normal.
It takes much time to save so big files with PNG compression - the default compression for PLD files.
You can setup "PNG fast" to make it faster (or even no compression).
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Gerhard was faster. Anyway:

Depending on the speed of your computer, this sounds normal – compressing large images takes some time. You may try to change the compression settings in Preferences -> File -> PLD – I normally use "PNG fast" because "PNG strong" tends to be much slower but file sizes don't usually differ a lot. Depending on your disk, "No compression" may be even faster.

Never tried "Fast save", I have no clue what it does.

You might also check if an antivirus program is at work in the background – they often delay writing big files when they check files being created.

Cheers

Burkhard.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks guys. I had it set to PNG fast already. I was concerned that something may have been amiss. But now I know it's 'normal' I can stop worrying.

regards
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bkh hat geschrieben: Fr 30 Jun 2017 08:16Never tried "Fast save", I have no clue what it does.
That's an option of the beta version. It will create the PLD in memory and write it afterwards as one large block. This is faster especially over networks, but may be slower, if memory pressure is high.

Basically, on saving PhotoLine is caching the compressed images. So if an image isn't modified between saves, the compressed data will be reused and saving is a lot faster.

Martin