Me again!

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Me again!

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I'm having a run of issues at the moment. (I have to travel to the USA soon and I'm trying to set up PL on an old laptop. The USA as new electronics bans and I can't risk my 'good' laptop).
I've run into an issue that may be computer related and not PL related.
I have a 3 layer PL file. I send the top layer to Nik plugins. All works fine 50% of the time. But sometimes I get the following message when the layer returns to PL. "Photoline Image Processing , Layout, Vector Editing has stopped working".
PL closes. When I restart PL it doesn't even start with the correct folder. It's reverting to a folder used yesterday. But when I open the correct file it is all ok except for the lost edit from Nik plugins.

Computer or PL problem?

bruce

edit. it's a 341 meg file. But I often have files this large without problems.
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Me again!

Beitrag von photoken »

When you get that error message, it might help in troubleshooting to look at the Windows Event Log to see if there is a more detailed description of the problem....
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Ken I 'think' I have it figured out!!
I believe it to be a cache/memory issue. (Old i3 computer). Computer works fine and is surprisingly fast. But if I do a single plugin edit all is ok. When I go back and do a second one PL closes down. So I have been saving the layer as an image. Work on it and do a copy paste back to the original PL file.
Sloppy but it works.

bruce
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Hey Bruce,

Just a thought, but since you're routinely working with those large TIF images, you really ought to explore using PL's placeholder feature.

As a test, I opened a 110Mb uncompressed TIF as a placeholder layer and saved it as a PLD file. The PLD file is 60Kb!

Granted, you can't directly manipulate the image pixels (such as erasing), but by using layer masks and adjustment layers you can do pretty much anything while maintaining a very small PLD file size.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks Ken. PL itself hasn't thrown up any issues on my old laptop. It's only when I use a plugin or external editor that I have the problem. But I can work around it. Provided I'm half awake when doing my work. :?

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

OK some more testing with a clearer head!!

Computer is an old laptop. Win 7. i3. 2.53Ghz. 4 gig of ram.

1/
I open PL.
Load a PL file with 3 layers. 341 meg.
Send the top layer to Nik Color Efex Pro.
Works fine. Then save in Color Efex Pro.
Edit appears in PL and then PL crashes.

2/
I open PL.
Load the PL file again.
Save top layer as a tiff file.
Open the tiff file, while the PL file is still loaded in PL.
Send the tiff file to Nik Color Efex.
Works file. Then save in Color Efex Pro.
Edit appears in PL and then PL crashes.

3/
I open PL.
Load a tiff file.
Send the tiff file to Color Efex Pro.
Works fine. Then save in Color Efex Pro.
Back to PL and all works fine.

So anytime a PL file is in PL PL will crash.
If I close any PL file and work on a tiff file everything works fine.

So having a PL file 'active/loaded' causes PL to crash after Nik Color Efex Pro.
I've done the same tests with Topaz plugins and all works as it should.

There is some sort of conflict whenever a PL file is active in PL while trying to use Nik Color Efex Pro.

I haven't tried other combinations.
This works fine on my newer i5, 8 gig laptop. So I suspect it's a memory issue! Maybe!!

Am I making sense?

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

A follow up. Yes I have too much time on my hands!!
I started to get a crash even on a single layer tiff file!!!!!!! Always with Nik Color Efex Pro.

So just for the heck of it I opened up the 32 bit version. Never used it before.
Well it hasn't crashed on me yet.
I've had the manager on. It's using 100% of the CPU on both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions. But interestingly it's using 2.9gig of memory on the 64 bit version and only 2.4 gig of memory on the 32 bit version.

Back to the laboratory.

bruce
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

FWIW. I reduced the file size from a 134meg tiff down to a 8meg tiff. Repeated the whole exercise. The 64 bit version crashed straight away on the first attempt. So far the 32 bit version is working ok!!! So Far!!

I'm starting suspect a conflict with my graphics card. Maybe! Some of my plugins won't work and demand a newer version of Open PL. But my computer won't accept newer versions.

I need a working laptop while in the USA. I have a clients who want to see draft images. Donald Trumps new restrictions are a real pain in the butt.

bruce