Upgrading

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Upgrading

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I have had a licensed version of PhotoLine (version 18) on my system (Mac Mini) for some time but recently decided to give the upgrade a trial. I downloaded and installed version 20 but, when it started, it told me I was on day 188 of my 30 day trial and that is a bit disturbing. My first question was whether I have to uninstall version 18 before I install the version 20 trial, but that does not seem like a reasonable restriction. My second question was whether I might have too many versions installed. I really only have one (on my Mini) but I am not sure if I uninstalled PhotoLine on my old MacBook Pro when I reset the system back to its initial state to give it to my step-son for his use.

Version 18 runs properly and I get no "buy the product" message box as I am a licensed user, but I do not understand the reason for the warning when I start the version 20 trial. I have submitted a support ticket but have not heard back and the trail period is only for 30 days. Can anyone help me?
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Upgrading

Beitrag von photoken »

Hi Mike,
I can't help you with that bizarre warning message (the license key format has changed since version 18, so maybe that's part of the problem), but I can encourage you to upgrade. There have been some very nice enhancements for "straight" image editing, as well as for techniques you might use for creating images containing various elements. If you can get the latest version for the upgrade price, that's really a deal that's hard to pass up.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: So 17 Sep 2017 01:27 I have had a licensed version of PhotoLine (version 18) on my system (Mac Mini) for some time but recently decided to give the upgrade a trial. I downloaded and installed version 20 but, when it started, it told me I was on day 188 of my 30 day trial and that is a bit disturbing.
My guess would be that you tried PL 20 (or PL 19) on your old MacBook pro and then migrated your account (and the trial period) to your new Mac Mini.

Anyhow, afaik, the trial version still continues to work after 30 days, without further restrictions in functionality, Reminders to buy PL become more frequent, but as long as this doesn't bother you too much, it's up to your conscience how far you extend the trial period.

Alternatively, you could try to use PL 20 as a USB version (as explained in the PL manual). In my experience, the USB version starts as a trial version at day 0 (but you'll lose all your settings from PL 18).

Cheers

Burkhard.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

bkh hat geschrieben: So 17 Sep 2017 11:51 My guess would be that you tried PL 20 (or PL 19) on your old MacBook pro and then migrated your account (and the trial period) to your new Mac Mini.
Actually that makes sense and is probably what has happened. I reset my MBP about 6 months ago and that corresponds to the time displayed on the dialog box. I do not remember trial-ing version 20 at that time as I had no reason to do so, but perhaps I did.
bkh hat geschrieben: So 17 Sep 2017 11:51 Anyhow, afaik, the trial version still continues to work after 30 days, without further restrictions in functionality, Reminders to buy PL become more frequent, but as long as this doesn't bother you too much, it's up to your conscience how far you extend the trial period.
I do not believe in using software past the trial period without paying for it, so I will give it a couple of more days to see what is new and then I expect I will upgrade. Version 18 does not load the raw files from my new camera so I will need it or find some other editor, and it is hard to beat PhotoLine when it comes to its functionality.

Thank you for the help.