Masking question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Masking question

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I am still working to try to fully understand selections and masking with version 20 of PL. In this particular case I have selected a sky using the auto-mask and converted that to a mask using the Layers -> Layer Mask -> Create. I can see the mask as a thumbnail on the background layer but would like to edit the mask because it included some items that do not belong to the sky, although the color and brightness were similar.

In the tutorial I could use Alt-Click to directly edit a mask that was created manually, but I do not see any way to do that with a mask created using Layers -> Layer Mask -> Create. When I use Alt-Click on the mask thumbnail I do not get the mask as an image to edit. When I tried to use the auto-mask to remove from the mask (Lasso '-' icon) it also removed part of the sky. When I tried to add the sky back to the mask (Lasso '+' icon) it again added the ground object. I suppose I can also use the manual lasso tools but is there some way to just paint on the mask to fix the problem?

Let me try to be clear about my question. I know how to do this with a selection. It is when that selection has been turned into a mask that I find this to be a problem.

Thank you again.
bkh
Betatester

Re: Masking question

Beitrag von bkh »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Sep 2017 22:52 In the tutorial I could use Alt-Click to directly edit a mask that was created manually, but I do not see any way to do that with a mask created using Layers -> Layer Mask -> Create. When I use Alt-Click on the mask thumbnail I do not get the mask as an image to edit.
This is a different kind of mask. To make it visible as an ordinary layer, click on the left checkbox (showing the layer mask symbol) in the layer panel (this will show the "eye" symbol together with the layer mask symbol). Like adjustment layers, you can also edit the layer mask without making it visible.

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Sep 2017 22:52 I am still working to try to fully understand selections and masking with version 20 of PL. In this particular case I have selected a sky using the auto-mask and converted that to a mask using the Layers -> Layer Mask -> Create. I can see the mask as a thumbnail on the background layer but would like to edit the mask because it included some items that do not belong to the sky, although the color and brightness were similar.
I don't understand what you mean. When I use Layer...Layer Mask...Create, I get an empty (all white) layer mask as a child of the image. When I use Layer...Layer Mask...Create from Mask, I get a layer mask using the sky area as a child of the original image:
layer mask 01.jpg
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Fr 22 Sep 2017 22:52 In the tutorial I could use Alt-Click to directly edit a mask that was created manually, but I do not see any way to do that with a mask created using Layers -> Layer Mask -> Create. When I use Alt-Click on the mask thumbnail I do not get the mask as an image to edit.
When I Alt+click on the thumbnail of the layer mask shown in that layer panel, I get the black and white image of the layer mask in the editing window.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

Thank you.

Like so many things, once you see how to do it, it seems obvious.