Looking for some help

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Looking for some help

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here but it's worth a try!

I use Topaz Impressions as a plugin from within Photoline. Topaz recently release a new version of Impressions. I 'had to have it'!! But it only came with Studio. But Topaz gives you free lifetime upgrades. So my upgrade from Impressions came free and with Studio.

Now for the question. I installed it all ok. (Photoline is easy to install plugins). I open Studio ok. Access Impressions within Studio. But I'm getting random crashes. I've tried to duplicate the crashes but they come at different points. Luckily I only loose the current adjustments. I was wondering if any other Photoline users have installed Studio and are having similar issues? I've tried the Topaz help route. But they are not responding. Due to heavy traffic!! I wonder why?

I don't believe this to be a Photoline issue but!!!!

Is their someone willing to spend some time trying to crash Impressions/Studio from with in Photoline?

Bruce
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Re: Looking for some help

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I call Studio from PL and I have not had any problems, but I have not been using Impressions. I will give it a try and let you know. By the way, are you using Studio to call Impressions? And, if so, are you using the plugin or the stand-alone app?
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks. Up until recently I was using the Impressions 2 plugin from within Photoline. I downloaded and installed Studio. From within Studio I use the new version of Impressions. It seems that all the 'Studio has stopped working' occurs when scrolling through the various presets. I also note many similar 'crashes' when Googling for answers. Seems a Topaz issue.

bruce
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 03:45 Thanks. Up until recently I was using the Impressions 2 plugin from within Photoline. I downloaded and installed Studio. From within Studio I use the new version of Impressions. It seems that all the 'Studio has stopped working' occurs when scrolling through the various presets. I also note many similar 'crashes' when Googling for answers. Seems a Topaz issue.

bruce
Are you using Studio as a plugin or as a stand-alone app when you call it from PL? Both methods are available and if I want to try to re-create your problem I need to know how you are calling it.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Mike I always use them from within Photoline. Never as a stand alone,

bruce
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 16:29 Mike I always use them from within Photoline. Never as a stand alone,
I guess I did not phrase my question clearly, so let me try again.

You can call Studio from within PhotoLine either as a plugin or as an executable. As an executable you would use Filter -> Executable Programs -> Topaz Studio. As a plugin you would use Filter -> Topaz Studio -> Topaz Studio.

Both of those calls are from within PhotoLine but they involve different interfaces to Studio. Which of those are you using?
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Sorry Mike. I use Filters/Topaz Studio/Topaz Studio. Ie as a plugin.

bruce
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 19:14 Sorry Mike. I use Filters/Topaz Studio/Topaz Studio. Ie as a plugin.
That is what I have been doing, but I have been unable to reproduce your issue.

What I do is load a raw image, adjust it (usually at least Histogram Correction, Exposure and Saturation Layers), flatten the image, duplicate it (you can not call the plugin without a duplicate layer), make sure my duplicate layer is not locked and is selected, and then call the plugin.

Impressions is not what I normally use in Studio (although I have to admit that I did kind of like how this turned out) but I spent a fair amount of time over multiple images selecting different Impressions presets using both the mouse and the arrow keys, and could not cause any issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tj9jw17wo3dt ... k6R_a?dl=0

I will continue trying, but then I use Studio quite a bit as a plugin from PhotoLine, so it is no trouble to continue trying.

Do you have a memory issue? How many apps are you running at the same time? What OS are you running?
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Mike it may be file size. I open 150+ meg tiffs in PL/ Duplicate. Then open in Studio. Maybe it's a file size issue. When I get back to my work computer I will try to repeat the issue using smaller files. But so far I have narrowed it down to scrolling through presets. So maybe Studio is choking.

i5 with 8 gig of ram. win 8.1. No other apps running.

bruce
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: So 01 Okt 2017 22:50 Mike it may be file size. I open 150+ meg tiffs in PL/ Duplicate. Then open in Studio. Maybe it's a file size issue. When I get back to my work computer I will try to repeat the issue using smaller files. But so far I have narrowed it down to scrolling through presets. So maybe Studio is choking.

i5 with 8 gig of ram. win 8.1. No other apps running.
Then there may be a couple of problems with my trying to replicate your issue. First, I work on a Mac, not a Windows machine, second I have 16GB of ram and, third, I am using 20+ MB raw images, not very large tiffs. I do have some of those size tiffs so I will try that as well.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Just an update.

I've been 'playing' with various options and combinations. From within Photoline I can call up any of my Topaz plugins with no issues. (140 meg tiffs. Single layers and from multiple layered PL files).
I can open Topaz Studio and select Impressions, Clean etc etc and no issues. This way still opens Studio but no crashes.
But if I select Topaz Studio and then Topaz Studio to get Impressions I get cashes. Not always but more than 50% of the time. Always while scrolling through the presets. A simple 'Program has stopped working' message.

I'm guessing this is a Topaz issue. But???

bruce