Inconsistency between versions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Inconsistency between versions

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

This is an issue that continues to be a pain for me, and hence this post. This is not exactly a duplicate of another post I entered, but covers some of the same issues. I apologize for the duplication, but this really is a slightly different issue.

I initially bought PhotoLine with version 18, and now have version 20. In the time frame from version 18 to version 20 PhotoLine seems to have lost some OS (but not PL) functionality.

If I select and right-click on a jpg and select "Open With" I will get both versions 18 and 20 as possible choices.

If I select and right-click on a tif (or tiff) and select "Open With" I will get version 18 as a choice, but not version 20.

If I right-click and select a raw image (CR2, ARW, ORF) I get neither.

As far as I know the targets shown with an "Open With" are determined when the software, during the installation, notify the OS that they can open the associated files, so why does version 18 show up for tiffs, but not version 20? And why do neither show up for raws? If this really is an installation issue can it be addressed in the next update?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Inconsistency between versions

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 16:54I initially bought PhotoLine with version 18, and now have version 20. In the time frame from version 18 to version 20 PhotoLine seems to have lost some OS (but not PL) functionality.
You are on macOS?
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 16:54If I select and right-click on a jpg and select "Open With" I will get both versions 18 and 20 as possible choices.

If I select and right-click on a tif (or tiff) and select "Open With" I will get version 18 as a choice, but not version 20.
That's strange. Here macOS 10.13 offers the same PhotoLine versions (from version 18 up to version 20) for both file formats. I have tried different spellings of the extension (tif, tiff, TIF, TIFF).
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 16:54If I right-click and select a raw image (CR2, ARW, ORF) I get neither.
Yes, currently PhotoLine doesn't tell macOS, that it can load the various raw formats. I will change that.
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 16:54As far as I know the targets shown with an "Open With" are determined when the software, during the installation, notify the OS that they can open the associated files,
Inside the PhotoLine.app there is a file named Info.plist, that - among other things - declares the file types, that can be read.

The location of an application doesn't seem to be important, because here on my computer the various PhotoLine versions are spread all over the hard disk, but it is possible that every program must be started at least once.
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 16:54so why does version 18 show up for tiffs, but not version 20? And why do neither show up for raws? If this really is an installation issue can it be addressed in the next update?
Usually there is no installation. Applications are just copied, so it is not an installation issue.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> You are on macOS?

Yes. 10.12.6.

> I have tried different spellings of the extension (tif, tiff, TIF, TIFF).

Here is a screen shot on my system using Open With with a "tif" file. I get the same results with "tiff", although psd files show both versions of PL.

OpenWith.jpg
> Inside the PhotoLine.app there is a file named Info.plist, that - among other things - declares the file types, that can be read.

Can I simply open the package and adjust the plist file?

> it is possible that every program must be started at least once.

There are two instances of the version 20 app on my system. One is in the PhotoLine folder that got copied into the Applications folder and the second I copied directly to the Applications folder when PhotoLine did not show up in the Open With context menu. I thought the problem might be that the app did not reside directly in the Applications folder but that, of course, turned out to be wrong. Both versions have been run multiple times, but neither show up when "tif" or "tiff" files are right-clicked and I look at the context menu.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Sometimes, the application database gets out of sync (duplicate/outdated/missing Apps in the Open With… list). You can reset it by copying the following (long) line into the terminal (must be one long line, followed by "return"). You'll have to quit and re-start applications outside the Application folders to be added to the database again.

Code: Alles auswählen

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed
Cheers

Burkhard.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

bkh hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 20:31 Sometimes, the application database gets out of sync (duplicate/outdated/missing Apps in the Open With… list). You can reset it by copying the following (long) line into the terminal (must be one long line, followed by "return"). You'll have to quit and re-start applications outside the Application folders to be added to the database again.

Code: Alles auswählen

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed
Cheers

Burkhard.
Thank you.

Tried it, but it did not change anything. Version 18 still shows up and version 20 still does not when I use a tif file. I then manually started the PhotoLine version that is not directly in the Applications folder, but it still did not change anything.

I assume you have the release versions available to you, but I could send you the plist files from both version is that would help.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 08 Nov 2017 19:55> Inside the PhotoLine.app there is a file named Info.plist, that - among other things - declares the file types, that can be read.

Can I simply open the package and adjust the plist file?
No, you can't, because of code signing. But there is nothing to adjust, because the Info.plist is fine.

I just tried 10.12.6 and both versions of PhotoLine were listed. Then I duplicated the version 20.51 und renamed it to "PhotoLine.2051.app". Immediately after that, "Open With" with a TIF didn't list "PhotoLine.2051.app". Then I tried a PLD. This one did show "PhotoLine.2051.app", so I went back to the TIF and now it was listed there, too.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do 09 Nov 2017 10:46 I just tried 10.12.6 and both versions of PhotoLine were listed. Then I duplicated the version 20.51 und renamed it to "PhotoLine.2051.app". Immediately after that, "Open With" with a TIF didn't list "PhotoLine.2051.app". Then I tried a PLD. This one did show "PhotoLine.2051.app", so I went back to the TIF and now it was listed there, too.

Martin
That is very interesting, so I tried to duplicate what you did.

On my system PhotoLine is installed in the PhotoLine folder under the Applications folder and, when it did not show up as an "Open With" option, I duplicated the app and copied directly to the Applications folder thinking that perhaps if it was directly in the folder that would solve the problem. It did not, but I left it there, named PhotoLine.app, since it made it easier for me to navigate to it to run it.

After reading your post I tried renaming it PhotoLine 20.app, and now it does show up in the "Open With" when I select a tif/tiff file. I do not know why renaming it would have solved this problem, but perhaps there was an issue because there were 2 PhotoLine.app files in the Applications folder (one directly in the folder and one in a sub-folder)? In any case it now shows up as PhotoLine 20.app in the "Open With" context menu.

I assume that you will add the raw tags to the plist file so that I can select PhotoLine for them in the "Open With" context menu.

Thank you for your help.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

I do not mean to over-do this thread, but I have followed Martin Huber's advice in renaming apps and have found something that seems important enough to mention as it might help others.

As I mentioned, I originally copied the PhotoLine folder (with the PhotoLine app) into the Applications folder and did not see the PhotoLine app in the "Open With" context menu. I then copied the PhotoLine app itself directly into the Applications folder, but still did not see PhotoLine in the context menu. That left 2 files named PhotoLine.app, one directly in the Applications folder and one in the PhotoLine sub-folder and, because of Martin Huber's comment about how he named the new PhotoLine app, I renamed the PhotoLine folder and the PhotoLine app in that folder, thus leaving only one file named PhotoLine.app and now the app showed up in the context menu.

That is, having 2 files named PhotoLine.app under the Applications folder, even when one was not directly in the folder, seems to have prevented the OS from displaying the app in the context menu. Having only one seems to have solved the problem.