Threshold Layer questions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Threshold Layer questions

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I recently read through a tutorial on the use of the Threshold Layer to set the proper values for the Levels Layer. The tutorial (which was not for PhotoLine) discussed using the color information dialog box to pick out the darkest and brightest points on the adjusted Threshold Layer and to then use those values in the Levels Layer. I tried to use this information with PhotoLine but could not find any Info dialog box that gave me the RGB values as I scrolled over the image.

This leads me to two questions. First, is there some equivalent of the (PS) Info Panel in PhotoLine? That is, is there some dialog box that I can open that will display the RGB values as I scroll over an image? And, second, is there any other reason for using the Threshold Layer? The tutorial only used it to set Levels values and the PhotoLine Levels control seems accurate enough to not warrant going to all of that trouble. I was just wondering if there is any other use for the Threshold Layer.

Thank you.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Threshold Layer questions

Beitrag von Hoogo »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Do 07 Dez 2017 20:22 I recently read through a tutorial on the use of the Threshold Layer to set the proper values for the Levels Layer. The tutorial (which was not for PhotoLine) discussed using the color information dialog box to pick out the darkest and brightest points on the adjusted Threshold Layer and to then use those values in the Levels Layer. I tried to use this information with PhotoLine but could not find any Info dialog box that gave me the RGB values as I scrolled over the image.

This leads me to two questions. First, is there some equivalent of the (PS) Info Panel in PhotoLine? That is, is there some dialog box that I can open that will display the RGB values as I scroll over an image? And, second, is there any other reason for using the Threshold Layer? The tutorial only used it to set Levels values and the PhotoLine Levels control seems accurate enough to not warrant going to all of that trouble. I was just wondering if there is any other use for the Threshold Layer.

Thank you.
I think I know this kind of tutorial.
You slide along with the threshold slider to spot the brightest and darkest patches more easily, check the RGB values there, then use these values for levels?
The "color picker" or "color position" tools would both be suitable to check those values, but "view > panel > picture info" shows them more easily in different color models. I guess that's what the Info panel of PS is showing, too.

I'm somewhat unsure about this kind of tutorial. Maybe it was invented at a time when levels histogram wasn't invented yet, and people kept using it? I mean today you've got the histogram and everything in the levels dialog, and in PL you can even choose a color model with the intensity, or enable "mark extreme values" if you want to find the darkest and brightest patches. Or maybe it was always meant to be some kind of educational tutorial to give you a feeling what you're doing, I don't know...

"Threshold Layer" can be useful for vectorizing your image, or creating your own raster for monochrome pictures. But I guess this isn't your question?
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> You slide along with the threshold slider to spot the brightest and darkest patches more easily, check the RGB values there, then use these values for levels?

Yes. Exactly.

I was trying to find some use for the Threshold Layer functionality and a Google search brought up that tutorial. It was pretty much all I could find concerning using the Threshold Layer, so I went through it to see what it was doing.

> Maybe it was invented at a time when levels histogram wasn't invented yet

The tutorial itself (you can see it http://ronbigelow.com/articles/threshold/threshold.htm) specifically says that it was for early versions of PS (pre-CS3, I think), and I did not actually need it to set the Levels values, but it was the only thing I could find on using the Threshold Layer, so I went through it to see if there was anything important buried in it somewhere.

> "Threshold Layer" can be useful for vectorizing your image, or creating your own raster for monochrome pictures. But I guess this isn't your question?

Actually that was the original question I had - exactly what is the purpose of the Threshold Layer. And it was that question, not Levels adjustments, that brought me to the tutorial as it was the only use I could find on the internet describing using the Threshold Layer.

If you could point me to some tutorials for using the Threshold Layer, that would answer the actual question at the root of this post.

Thank you.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I've always been bad in collecting tutorials ;)
But I remember some experiments and some threads here in this forum, so I found a little bit.

Turning a picture into monochrome with some dot pattern: See attached PLD.
Turning a picture into outlines: Here(I hope google translates that well enough. There's a preset for the adjustment layer panel.

Some different links about things to do with threshold here.

Different nice effects from photoken and others here here, here, and here
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Thanks. I guess I am going to need Google Translate.