[REQ] Relative to Document Brush Size

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Juan
Mitglied

[REQ] Relative to Document Brush Size

Beitrag von Juan »

Hi all,

Would it be great if for the brushes, pencils and other paint tools could have an option to be relative to document instead of relative to active layer. Let me explain further, if you have a rotated layer and skewed when you use the brush, this becomes deformed following the layer deformation parameters which is great but in some other situations you would need the brush to be "normal" and not following the current layer deformation. Additionally, if the layer is mirrored then controlling the brush size by Ctrl+drag is really cumbersome since even the dragging is mirrored.

The only workaround is to Fix the layer but then the whole concept of keeping the layer deformed is lost, and this is the reason for having an option in the brushes and other tools to be relative to document and not relative to layer so we could choose the option that fits the best.

Cheers,
Juan
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: [REQ] Relative to Document Brush Size

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

While I understand that request, this is not possible in the general case, to be precise, there are cases with perspectively distorted layers where the brush can become infinitely large.

Martin
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

But if the brushes are relative with the document size they are not going to depend anymore of what size the active layer is, for example a 300 px brush size in a document at 96dpi will be always a 300 px regardless if the active layer is at 600dpi and 4K size.

Cheers,
Juan
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

If a "document-based" brush is applied to an image, it will have to be recalculated for the resolution of the image. Circle and rectangular brushes will have to be rendered appropriately, otherwise the 300 px brush in 96 dpi will produce jaggy results if applied to a 600 dpi image (1 brush pixel would roughly equate 6 image pixels).

Martin
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Thank you for the explanation, I understand now a little more about the math behind this wish. Although, it seems that is not an impossible task, is a very complicated one.
One more question, what about the distortion and the way on how we resize the brush? If I have a mirrored layer the way on how to increase/decrease the brush with the mouse is inverted as well and if the layer is skewed somehow the brush gets distorted as well. Can this distorted brush and resize brush be added as an behavioral option for the brushes?

Cheers,
Juan