gennadiy
Mitglied

Vector gradient on layer mask

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Hello to all.

We have this combination of layers with layer mask
(here the mask is initially taken from the blue channel):
1.png

We need to add a gradient to the layer mask so that the layer mask “goes down”, something like this
(mask gradient added manually by brush):
2.png
It is desirable that the vector layer is preserved so that it can be adjusted, as well as the other layer mask settings.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Vector gradient on layer mask

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I guess your main problem is that the vector outline is used as mask, not the actual brightness?

You can group the vector layer and enable the property "draw isolated" for that group. You find that property in the layer attributes.
The group is marked with a * in the layer list, and layer modes (multiply, screen...) are enabled.

Your picture is a little small, I'm not sure what exactly is the difference between the two pictures.
So here are 3 versions, all based on a grouped vector layer:
V1 is a 2nd layer mask, it behaves like multiply
V2 should me mostly the same, but it's not a mask of its won, so you can select the layer mode. It should be mostly the same, I'm always a little unsure when child layers (hue) and masks are mixed.
V3 ist something different, I've used the group directly as a mask for the curves. Use "view > panels > adjustment layer" for such nasty things. Maybe a curve of changing strength can do, I can't tell from your pics.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Thank you Hoogo, I was wondering the same before. Very informative.

Cheers,
Juan
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: So 21 Jul 2019 17:04
Many thanks, works great :D
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: So 21 Jul 2019 17:04 V3 ist something different, I've used the group directly as a mask for the curves. Use "view > panels > adjustment layer" for such nasty things. Maybe a curve of changing strength can do, I can't tell from your pics.
Tell me how to get V3?
In my version, I can only get this:
Untitled.png
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

First, I created the group containing the gradient.
Second, I used "view > panels > adjustment layer" to add an adjustment to that group. It's the button with the "+" in the title of that panel.

If you have already created a normal adjustment layer with a curve:
Well, I'd just throw that away and create a new curve. It's surely possible to copy the curves, but most of the tie it's too much work.

I also struggle a lot with the scissors-symbol on the left of the layers. You can right-click that symbol and choose if it's eye or clipping.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Like this?
Capture.JPG
Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 10:03 I also struggle a lot with the scissors-symbol on the left of the layers. You can right-click that symbol and choose if it's eye or clipping.
Me too, sometimes is just trial and error to see which one is the right one for one specific situation.

Cheers,
Juan
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Juan hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 10:16 Like this?
Capture.JPG
Close...
How did you create the curves layer?
Did you use "Tool > Curves" and then the "create layer" button? That won't work, I only see how I could create new layers there.
Mark the group in the list, then use the "adjustment layer panel"

And look what you did to that eye symbol!! :D
----------------
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

I added the Curves by using the Adjustment layers button that is at the bottom of the Layer list, next to the add layer mask, create new layer, duplicate layer.

Cheers,
Juan
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 10:03
Thanks for the help.

Untitled.png
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Juan hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 15:40 I added the Curves by using the Adjustment layers button that is at the bottom of the Layer list, next to the add layer mask, create new layer, duplicate layer.
Oh, there's a button, I never really noticed. :lol:
Ok, that button also doesn't work for this :P
----------------
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 16:15 Oh, there's a button, I never really noticed. :lol:
:lol:
Hoogo hat geschrieben: Fr 26 Jul 2019 16:15 Ok, that button also doesn't work for this :P
Yeah, there are meant for different workflow. In your case you add the Adjutment Layer directly on the picture you want to "adjust", but in my workflow the Adjustment is created on a new empty layer which allows me to paint on it to mask some parts of the picture that I don't want to get adjusted.
I use your method when I want to stack many different adjustment layer into one, just liken when you open a raw file.

Cheers,
Juan