PLD with JPEG compression.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
borgo1971
Mitglied

PLD with JPEG compression.

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

In another thread someone said there's a way to use JPEG compression in PLD files. This is what I'm looking for, because I store much multipages layout with a lot of images, and the become very big. I know I can use PDF, that makes the file much smaller, but after saving in PDF all text are splitten groups of single chars, and sometimes I need to re-edit the text or use a older saved document to make a new one holding layout and much part of text (mostly changing all images).
So I think it could be very useful to have the choice to save PLD files using JPEG compression, even I know it's lossy. Best of all, it would be if data loss could be avoided for images that are untouched from previous save, but it could be a good option for archiving documents in any case.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: PLD with JPEG compression.

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

The important chapter in the documentation is "5.5 Working With JPEG-Files".
Short version:
- If a JPEG-image is inserted in a document and saved in PLD-format, only the JPEG data will be saved.
- Editing the image will discard the JPEG data.
- You can compress existing images (gray/RGB/CMYK, no transparency) using "Layout > Image > JPEG Compression".
- The Attributes dialog shows whether JPEG data are existing.

Martin
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

Great! Another Photoline useful future. I reduced some 100MB file to less than 25MB, only applying JPEG compression to the images inside the document. But allow me to suggest to add a command that applies JPEG compression to all images inside a multipage document, and in same time, optionally permits to reduce images resolution, cut visible parts of images and apply modification layers. In summary, a command to reduce file size, maintaining document "structure".
Best regards,
Adriano.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

For more serious work it could be great to have JPEG XR lossless and lossy compression option inside PLD files. See my Speed vs Compression tests here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6299
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

shijan hat geschrieben: Mi 05 Feb 2020 00:52 For more serious work it could be great to have JPEG XR lossless and lossy compression option inside PLD files. See my Speed vs Compression tests here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6299
Webp lossless compresses much better than jpeg XR lossless in my tests. Also, jpg XR is a somewhat failed Micosoft experiment, since it is still unsupported by all browsers, excepting MS browsers. And I wonder if the new Edge (based on Chrome's web engine) will actually support it.

The drawback of WebP would be the max size: 16384px in width and height. Btw, isn't JPG XR also limited to 65k by 65k? This would be too small for certain PLD files.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

So WebP also have lossless option? I didn't test it because thought that 100% quality is still compressed. Also it is useless because don't support 16 bit depth. During high compressed tests i found that WebP is very different from jpeg XR, is smooths image in very aggressive way and image became look very unnatural.
Also WebP is very slow:
Export 8 bit TIFF image to WebP 100% takes 15 seconds
Export 16 bit TIFF image to JPEG XR lossless takes 2 seconds

Some info and list of supported software:
https://jpeg.org/jpegxr/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_XR
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Antworten