Rotate Document greatly increases PDF file size

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
maho
Mitglied

Rotate Document greatly increases PDF file size

Beitrag von maho »

Dear PhotoLiners,

I was given a document in the form of a multiple page .PDF file - possibly created using the Adobe Scan phone app. Each page is a bitmapped image.

I open it in Photoline, and perform only this operation:

Layout->Document->Rotate Document 90 degrees

and then save the file as a .PDF without changing settings. Doing so vastly increases the file size.

Before: 2.2MB
After: 21.1MB

(Unfortunately, I can not share the document, due to privacy reasons.)

Any ideas?

Running PL23.53 under Windows 10 Home.
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Rotate Document greatly increases PDF file size

Beitrag von Hoogo »

You've already tried the different options for saving PDF?

When I had troubles with huge PDFs, there were color profiles included. Look for profiles in docuemnt/layer attributes and delete them, or try selecting a PDF/A-colorspace in the PDF options.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

maho hat geschrieben: Fr 31 Mär 2023 01:05 I was given a document in the form of a multiple page .PDF file - possibly created using the Adobe Scan phone app. Each page is a bitmapped image.

I open it in Photoline, and perform only this operation:

Layout->Document->Rotate Document 90 degrees

and then save the file as a .PDF without changing settings. Doing so vastly increases the file size.

Before: 2.2MB
After: 21.1MB

(Unfortunately, I can not share the document, due to privacy reasons.)
This is a pity, because without a document it is difficult to say what's happening.

Such a big size difference is most likely a matter of bit depth and/or compression. If the original file consists of 1-bit images that are somehow converted to 8-bit and then exported uncompressed, something like this could happen.

If it fits with you, you can send us the file directly. We can assure you that we will delete it after checking.

Martin
maho
Mitglied

Beitrag von maho »

Thanks for your help, Martin and others.

Unfortunately, the document contains other people's private information, so I really can't share it.

I spend some time looking harder at the document. It's actually not a simple bit mapped image. Instead it has many layers, like this:

Bild

It takes a long time to save (~30 secs), so upscaling or reformatting must be going on. I am reasonably certain that the document was NOT created in PhotoLine - so the problem probably lies with whatever software was used to create it. Let me go back to the person who gave me the document and see if I can find what software he used.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

maho hat geschrieben: Fr 31 Mär 2023 15:47Let me go back to the person who gave me the document and see if I can find what software he used.
He might also create a document with less restricted content for you.

UNtil then you could check the reolutions (dpi) of the layers, the docuemnt and the PDF settings.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

The increased size is probably caused by the layer mask.

PhotoLine will combine that with its parent layer, and depending on the original data (pixel size and bit depth of the layer mask, pixel size and physical size of the parent layer) and the PDF options (resolution, transparency, image compression), there will be a smaller are larger increase in size.

Martin
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

The PDF export of the current test version 23.90B11 (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6906) supports special constructs that sometimes occur in PDFs.

Can you test whether this solves your size problem?

Martin