How do you convert an image into LAB Mode?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
lutz
Mitglied

How do you convert an image into LAB Mode?

Beitrag von lutz »

How do you convert an image into LAB Mode in PL32?

It imports LAB images fine, but how do you convert them? I cannot find the otion.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: How do you convert an image into LAB Mode?

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

lutz hat geschrieben:How do you convert an image into LAB Mode in PL32?

It imports LAB images fine, but how do you convert them? I cannot find the otion.
You can do this by using "Layer/Convert Layer Type". This is the central function for all types of conversion.

Martin
lutz
Mitglied

thanks for the info!

Beitrag von lutz »

thanks for the info!
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

I found that these LAB-Layers offer me a feature I have been looking for when using gradation (don't know if it's called like that in english). What else are these layers useful for? What is their purpose?
lutz
Mitglied

LAB image editing

Beitrag von lutz »

Editing in LAB colorspace has supposedly lots of advantages for sharpening, since it provides the only way to separate the luminosity information from the color information. Apparently the separtion is not complete in the standard HSV space. However LAB allows also unique ways for editing colors and creating selections. It has been promoted a lot by photoshop guru Dan Margulis. If you have a look at Amazon at the discussions about his book : "Photoshop LAB Color : The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace" you will get some ideas.
I have not tried it myself but would like to give it a whirl in Photoline.

Some more info on LAB at:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/12869.html
http://www.ledet.com/margulis/LABCorrection.pdf

hoogo hat geschrieben:I found that these LAB-Layers offer me a feature I have been looking for when using gradation (don't know if it's called like that in english). What else are these layers useful for? What is their purpose?
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Thanks a lot, that gives me something to read for a while.