Feature request: photo stitch

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
carrozza
Mitglied

Feature request: photo stitch

Beitrag von carrozza »

PhotoLine32 is a wonderful software.
Just discovered Form Lasso: what a nifty tool! :-)

The only thing I miss is photo-stitch feature to make panoramas from digital camera pictures.
Maybe we will see it in the future?

Anyway... GREAT!
thkn777
Mitglied

Beitrag von thkn777 »

yep - would like to see that too - maybe the developers can use the opensource tools already available and throw an extension together? Something like a "Hugin plugin" for PL32.

Using the SIFT algorithms introduced in autostitch would be good too - as shown in autostitch this could be used for a simple HDR or DRI combine too --> to my mind that would be even better, because DRI and panoramas are the things left "outside" from PL32 for me. This and some tools from Image Analyzer (deconvolution and spline/fractal interpolation as well as the adaptive noise reduction...)

I second what you said - PL32 is a great tool - got the package this week and am rummaging through the manual.

/wave
ThomasF
Mitglied

Beitrag von ThomasF »

So why don't you use Hugin?
I think, adding that to pl32 would be a waste of programmers ressources, because Hugin can do the job really well (and its free!). I use it, and never expected to find that feature in pl32.

The effort to add good stitching (even if you use the existing tools) would not be an afternoon's work and might better be invested in adding some really useful image processing functions to this great software.

Thomas

--
this is only my very personal opinion
thkn777
Mitglied

Beitrag von thkn777 »

ThomasF hat geschrieben:So why don't you use Hugin?
I think, adding that to pl32 would be a waste of programmers ressources, because Hugin can do the job really well (and its free!). I use it, and never expected to find that feature in pl32.

The effort to add good stitching (even if you use the existing tools) would not be an afternoon's work and might better be invested in adding some really useful image processing functions to this great software.

Thomas

--
this is only my very personal opinion
Well - every step I can do in just one program helps... that's the short answer.

I am more interested in a "blending" thingie than in a pure stitcher. Hugin works nice if you PLAN to do panorama shots, but if you just click away Autostitch will do better in most cases.

There is a feature under "Digicam" to combine two pictures - but it doesn't "register" (read: matches) them and you can't really fine-tune the overlay process.

My idea was to add to that already existant feature and make it possible to "stitch/overlay" hand-held bracketing shots for example or simple panoramic shots. For expert work you need an expert program but the simple thing like stitching a +2/0/-2 hand-held series to a DRI image and simple-tonemap the result would be nice.

I am not sure atm how far one should push this but it WOULD be a nice feature I would use on a regular base.

If you want to continue that discussion I can try to post some more detailed infos and pics to illustrate what I am aiming for.
greenmorpher
Mitglied
Beitrag von greenmorpher »

For Macintosh, there's a two-way choice that's similar.

Double Take is shareware at about $10 which does a very serviceable job of stitching and handles those really rough matches where you didn't do a good job of taking the original pictures with a panorama in mind.

Calico, which costs $40 (and itself is the poor relation of a more "professional" product) is pretty sensational to my mind in that if you plan reasonably, it will do you a multi-row stitching job so you can take in the front of a big building, for instance in two or three rows of two or three pictures (or more). It also does a better job of blending tones from picture to picture.

A program of PL32's quality would need a real quality stitching feature to complement its other capabilities. That would have to be of the Calico level, and THAT, I agree, would not be trivial to add.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Antworten