Starting PhotoLine From An USB-Stick

Answers to frequently asked questions about PhotoLine
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Starting PhotoLine From An USB-Stick

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

From version 13 on, you can start PhotoLine from an USB-stick without any problem.
First you have to copy the installed PhotoLine folder from your harddisk to the USB-stick. Now you can start PhotoLine from the USB-Stick, but the settings are still saved to the harddisk. In order to fix this, you have to create a folder named "UserSettings" in the PhotoLine folder on your USB-stick. On Windows the "UserSettings"-folder has to be directly in the
application folder, on mac OS it must be in the application package in "Contents/Resources". If PhotoLine finds "UserSettings" on starting, it will read and write its settings to it.
GM1968
Mitglied

Re: Starting PhotoLine From An USB-Stick

Beitrag von GM1968 »

This is great but can I use my license number if i want to use Photoline on another computer?
Les Français utilisent aussi Photoline !
Bild Bild
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

yes, if you have registered PhotoLine, you can use it on several computers this way.

Gerhard
GM1968
Mitglied

Beitrag von GM1968 »

:lol: Vraiment génial !!! Merci !

Photoline is the best editing software! :P
Les Français utilisent aussi Photoline !
Bild Bild
Wayland
Mitglied

Beitrag von Wayland »

Is there any way of transferring the user settings from Windows into the Photoline file so that you can keep everything as it is already set up or do you just have to start again?
5ar5renko
Mitglied

Beitrag von 5ar5renko »

Why PhotoLine cannot create "UserSettings" folder by itself while installing?
evren
Mitglied

Beitrag von evren »

5ar5renko hat geschrieben:Why PhotoLine cannot create "UserSettings" folder by itself while installing?
It's due to Windows logic to seperate users. I think you already know but let me explain for others may ask also.
Windows OS offers to install programs under "Program Files" folder and keep settings in "user/user name/AppData/..." folder.
The reason for it is, if a user want to backup all his/her settings, simply can backup own user settings folder.
In theory, in practical usage AppData folder is bloated with even softwares "shared" binary files or frequently abused by malwares etc.

For a programmer, if they want to follow conventional way (what offered) they use appdata by default.
For a realistic programmer focusing on usability, they use the programs own folder for settings.
Great programmers let it as an option to user ;)

If you mention is, "why not to have an option in installer?"
Come on, you just need to create a folder and that's it. No need to digg config files etc. It's as simple as it can be.
And a note, I'm making design to live, as a profession but I use PL in USB stick. If you will buy a USB 3.0 supported USB stick and connect it to a slot also supporting USB 3.0, you'll get amazed that PL runs much more faster than in your internal disc. Even I use SSD, I got better results. For a simple example, launch time of PL is about 20 - 30 milisecons (1/5 1/3 of a second).