Select color does not work correctly

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
jw2004
Mitglied

Select color does not work correctly

Beitrag von jw2004 »

Select color tools did not work correctly.

1. Create a file with a image layer enable alpha channel.
2. Use a lasso tool select a area then delete it.
3. Use color select tool to select some color range.

The result is not idea result like ps, it remain include the transparent area which I generate at 2nd step.
This is because when delete selection is only make the selection's transparent, the rgb infomation are remain. then Select color tool use the rgb infomation despite of the transparency.
2015-04-12_22h10_58.jpg
2015-04-12_22h09_58.jpg
2015-04-12_22h09_12.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PL19 x64 win7 64
Eurgail
Mitglied

Re: Select color does not work correctly

Beitrag von Eurgail »

I find this behavior rather usefull, don't you? If your create working layers with these selections you can easily change the alpha channel without changig the working layers. Not so, if the transparency is accounted.
As a workaround you can add the transparent area for example with the automask tool very quickly.
jw2004
Mitglied

Beitrag von jw2004 »

It is counterintuitive, I just want to delete something, but they are not really deleted, and there are no other way to absolutely delete those pixels.
Photoshop does the right thing, in photoshop, the deleted area do not have pixels.

PS. If you want make pixels transparent but not deleted, you can use erase tool ( the layer's tranparent channel switch should be on)
PL19 x64 win7 64
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Try a selection with a huge soft border.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

jw2004 hat geschrieben:It is counterintuitive, I just want to delete something, but they are not really deleted, and there are no other way to absolutely delete those pixels.
You can have pre-multiplied alpha (where transparent parts don't have colour information) or independent alpha. Both approaches have their pros and cons. Indepenent alpha works better with semi-transparency (pre-multiplied alpha may lead to banding if you change the trasnparency again later), so this is what PL uses. As a consequence, fully transparent areas always have a colour (but not necessarily the original colours, deleting could also fill with the bg colour with full transparency, for example).

Otoh, it seems that "Select Colour" doesn't take transparency into account when looking for similar colours. This may not always be what the user wants – especially since one can choose (semi)transparent values in the dialogue.
jw2004 hat geschrieben:Photoshop does the right thing, in photoshop, the deleted area do not have pixels.
Sure? What happens if you change the alpha channel to full opacity again in PS?
jw2004 hat geschrieben:PS. If you want make pixels transparent but not deleted, you can use erase tool ( the layer's tranparent channel switch should be on)
Do you think that this is less counter-intuitive?

Cheers

Burkhard.
ellhel
Mitglied

Beitrag von ellhel »

Hello,

try this: after step 2 (2. Use a lasso tool select a area then delete it) grouped the layer to itself.
Then merged the group down. Now try the color select tool again.

Regards
Helmut
PhotoLine 21 & Betas, Win-10 Pro 64-bit, ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018, Dxo Optics Pro 9, Panasonic DMC-G6
"Der Nachteil der Intelligenz besteht darin, dass man ununterbrochen gezwungen ist, dazuzulernen."
George Bernard Shaw