Alert for security vulnerability in dcraw

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
photoken
Mitglied

Alert for security vulnerability in dcraw

Beitrag von photoken »

This advisory was just released concerning dcraw:
http://www.ocert.org/advisories/ocert-2015-006.html
When PL 19 is released, it should use the appropriate version of dcraw (or its patch) to ensure the vulnerability is addressed.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
bkh
Betatester

Re: Alert for security vulnerability in dcraw

Beitrag von bkh »

Just a "Denial-of-Service" problem, according to your source, meaning that PL may freeze when you try to open a bad raw file. Therefore, I don't see a reason to delay the release of PL (or worry about the current PL), even though there is no patched dcraw yet.

Besides, the dcraw version in PL is updated regularly anyway, because that's what you have to do to ad raw support for the latest cameras.

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

From my reading of the advisory, it seems that the author of dcraw has already issued a patch for this, and one can assume that newer versions of dcraw will incorporate the fix. There's no telling what the consequences of a DoS attack could be. As long as a security vulnerability has been identified and addressed, it makes sense to accommodate the fix in the upcoming PL.
Ken
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

photoken hat geschrieben:From my reading of the advisory, it seems that the author of dcraw has already issued a patch for this, and one can assume that newer versions of dcraw will incorporate the fix.
Point is, there is no fixed version of dcraw (yet) – the most recent version is 2015-04-11, and the security flaw is still there. Of course, PL should update to the patched version asap (or just patch the bug manually, aborting if len <= 2 in ljpeg_start).

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben:Of course, PL should update to the patched version asap (or just patch the bug manually, aborting if len <= 2 in ljpeg_start).
Or, if a fully patched version of dcraw does not appear in time to be incorporated in the release version of PL 19, do as the developers of RawTherapee are doing and manually incorporate the patch that has been released by the author of dcraw.
Ken
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

photoken hat geschrieben: Or, if a fully patched version of dcraw does not appear in time to be incorporated in the release version of PL 19, do as the developers of RawTherapee are doing and manually incorporate the patch that has been released by the author of dcraw.
Any idea where to get the "official" patch? Neither the security page nor the dcraw page seem to have a reference.

Cheers

Burkhard.
evren
Mitglied

Beitrag von evren »

It's for raw images, not related to a format shared over internet (jpg, png, svg, gif etc. etc.)
This vulnerability maybe will complete it's lifecycle without a hit, no worries unless;
You're downloading raw images on internet to process.
Even if you find one infected, just CTRL+ALT+DEL terminate the task and keep going. No worries unless.
You're processing raw images on a server (web, file, service etc) which shouldn't even freeze.

Be comfortable guys, I'm in security stuff since several years. Those are simple stuffs. If you'll know the un-patched vulnerabilites of your core Win. or web apps and servers (which can effect you) you'll get shocked.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

bkh hat geschrieben: Any idea where to get the "official" patch? Neither the security page nor the dcraw page seem to have a reference.
No idea. I'm just repeating the timeline info on that advisory page and the discussion about it on the RawTherapee forum.
Ken