Neue Testversion 19.00rc2

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Neue Testversion 19.00rc2

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:Where is the placeholder file located (on a local drive, network drive, USB drive, ...)?
Please answer my question.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:More info (extreme example):
- open a photo (not too big!, I tried one at 400x795)
- convert that layer to vector (high quality)
- turn on isolated drawing

Add a new layer, and start drawing. Notice lags and breaks in operation.
Caching kicks in 30 seconds after the last change to a layer. Reason: If an isolated layer is edited, usually displaying it directly is faster than rebuilding the full cache (i.e. only a small part of the layer is changed or visible or the document has a low zoom factor).
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:If the group is completely cached, then why all the breaks in operation?
Well, after the 30 seconds it shouldn't break, and here on my computer it doesn't.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:The same breaks will occur when I place the same file in a new file.
I did create a placeholder with such a file and couldn't reproduce the problem.
If you have a sample file, I will retry it with that.

Martin
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:Where is the placeholder file located (on a local drive, network drive, USB drive, ...)?
Please answer my question.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:More info (extreme example):
- open a photo (not too big!, I tried one at 400x795)
- convert that layer to vector (high quality)
- turn on isolated drawing

Add a new layer, and start drawing. Notice lags and breaks in operation.
Caching kicks in 30 seconds after the last change to a layer. Reason: If an isolated layer is edited, usually displaying it directly is faster than rebuilding the full cache (i.e. only a small part of the layer is changed or visible or the document has a low zoom factor).
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:If the group is completely cached, then why all the breaks in operation?
Well, after the 30 seconds it shouldn't break, and here on my computer it doesn't.
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:The same breaks will occur when I place the same file in a new file.
I did create a placeholder with such a file and couldn't reproduce the problem.
If you have a sample file, I will retry it with that.

Martin
I believe I have found the reason for the intermittent pauses: I have the channels panel open. And every time after I draw a stroke, Photoline will recalculate the channel thumbnails, and that takes time, which then causes problems when I try to draw the next stroke after about 1 second. When I close or hide the channels, these breaks in operation are resolved.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I am unsure whether this is a bug caused by the video card, a system issue, or by Photoline.
When I draw with a medium brush (140px) and select a pattern, gradient, or texture fill to paint with, I can only paint very slowly - even at a medium pace Photoline chokes, and the cursor and the screen no longer update at all. When I stop, Photoline updates the screen.

This will happen even with a one layer file at 800px width and height. There are no issues when I paint with one colour.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I am unsure whether this is a bug caused by the video card, a system issue, or by Photoline.
When I draw with a medium brush (140px) and select a pattern, gradient, or texture fill to paint with, I can only paint very slowly - even at a medium pace Photoline chokes, and the cursor and the screen no longer update at all. When I stop, Photoline updates the screen.

This will happen even with a one layer file at 800px width and height. There are no issues when I paint with one colour.
I'm not seeing that here on Win7 x64 SP1 and PL 19.00rc2.

On a 640x480 image with a transparent background, I can use a 46 px brush size and paint with patterns (both included patterns and patterns I have created), and with textures and with gradients. In all cases the brush cursor follows the mouse cursor nicely, without lag.

Same is true on a 1280x960 image with a brush size of 145px....
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

photoken hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I am unsure whether this is a bug caused by the video card, a system issue, or by Photoline.

I'm not seeing that here on Win7 x64 SP1 and PL 19.00rc2.

On a 640x480 image with a transparent background, I can use a 46 px brush size and paint with patterns (both included patterns and patterns I have created), and with textures and with gradients. In all cases the brush cursor follows the mouse cursor nicely, without lag.

Same is true on a 1280x960 image with a brush size of 145px....
It is probably related to the older 590gtx Nvidia card I am running currently. My AMD 7970 blew out a couple of months ago, and I never encountered any such issues with that card. I will test this tomorrow at school on various machines with different graphics cards, and I will report back afterwards.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

May I please please please request that the maximum zoom out factor is lowered to 1% or even 0.5 %? I am working on a panel of 10 by 2 meters, and even at 1% zoom level (current minimum) I cannot get a complete overview.

Same for extreme zoom in: the max is currently 6400% - at times it would be handy to be able to go to double that amount for extreme vector precision. Perhaps a preference setting that allows the user to set a custom range?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:I believe I have found the reason for the intermittent pauses: I have the channels panel open. And every time after I draw a stroke, Photoline will recalculate the channel thumbnails, and that takes time, which then causes problems when I try to draw the next stroke after about 1 second.
I will fix that.

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

My 6 year old Mac also shows a slowdown when using a texture or patterns with a brush that large, blends are less of a problem (smoothing off, hard round brush, step size 1%, tablet set to "only eraser", "Connect Brush Positions" on). It's more apparent if you work at lower magnifications. The situation worsens if you work in 16 or 32 bit mode. Increasing the step size to 10% improves the situation a lot. I can also reproduce the (re?)drawing problem when moving the cursor up across the diagonal and back very quickly – looks like the "PL waits for the next mouse event" problem because the missing bit also appears when I continue drawing (without releasing the pen). The drawing problem is easier to see with a larger document and a 500px brush at 10% magnification. Maybe one needs a timeout here if there's no mouse event within 1/10 s or so.

When I switch off "Connect Brush Positions" in Preferences -> Working -> Brush, the drawing problem disappears (and painting is more responsive in general, but that's clear because there is a lot less to do if no intermediate points need to be drawn.)

Strangely, creating a layer filled with a texture or pattern, and drawing into a layer mask using a solid colour is much faster than drawing with the pattern itself, even if viewed at 100%. Doesn't this involve essentially the same (even more) operations?

In any case, the problem seems to exist in PL 18.53 as well.

Cheers

Burkhard.