Neue Testversion 19.40b6

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Neue Testversion 19.40b6

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Regarding radial blur: Could this be turned into a non-destructive filter? I use it quite a lot, and I expect I am not the only one.

But here is a suggestion: why not consolidate ALL blur filters in one adjustment layer, which then offers a button list or drop-down for all the available blur variants. This will also clean up the adjustment layer lists, which is on the verge of exploding.

The same can be done for the sharpen effects, and other groups. This will allow you to populate and manage the adjustment layer lists with more effects, and still be usable for the user. The adjustment layer list could also be grouped in sub groups. I would not mind having to navigate a secondary sub-menu to select them. Ideally the user would have an option to create a custom list of favourite adjustment/filter layers.

And there are all these destructive filters which would greatly benefit from becoming non-destructive in Photoline - and I feel one thing holding you guys back is overpopulating the adjustment layer list with too many entries.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I have noticed that the spiral tool, when using large distances in order to create, for example, just two or three lines, does not generate perfect circular curves, but rather flattened curved ones. Am I wrong to expect nice circular curves?
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:But here is a suggestion: why not consolidate ALL blur filters in one adjustment layer, which then offers a button list or drop-down for all the available blur variants. This will also clean up the adjustment layer lists, which is on the verge of exploding.
I like the idea... somehow, as long as the layer adjustment icon changes as well.

Cheers,
Juan
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

In this thread about perspective grids, I posted a simple solution which makes use of the Rays tool:
http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.ph ... 420#p36420

Works great, except that the rays tool allows only for 100 rays - which is insufficient in this case when working with shallow perspective grids.

Would it be at all possible to increase the number of rays to an arbitrary number?

And one question: often artificial limits are placed on values in Photoline. The rays tool is merely one example here. Others are:
- most layer effects: width values for outline outside, glowing inside and glowing outside, distance and soft border for shadow outside, shadow inside and 3d-shadow
- filters such as size for blurs, grain, wipe, and so on (forcing the user to stack multiple adjustment layers on top of each-other)
- texture size limited to 1024px width and height.

I understand that large values may slow down operations in Photoline, but I think it should be up to the users to decide how far they want/need to go. For example, in Cinema4d limits are up to the user (where it makes sense), and a stress indicator is used to warn the user "Hey, you are going to put stress on the system now, but it is your responsibility from this point onward. You seem to know what you are doing".

Bild

I would love Photoline to switch to such an approach, instead of forcing artificial limits for many of these values.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Please, this one warning dialog is driving me insane!

Every single time this dialog pops up, there is a 50% chance I may click the wrong button, and I will have to start all over again.

Please, please change it. The wording and the meaning of the buttons is extremely dubious and ambiguous. Open "it"? The PLD version, or the file I attempt to open? I have no idea. "the file" --> "this file", since it is the one the user is attempting to open.

Furthermore, This dialog fails to clarify what the problem is about (the contents may have changed), and clicking one of these three buttons may potentially result in data loss. Which increases the anxiety when choosing to click one of these three buttons.

And why include that cancel button? It is superfluous, because the user wishes to open either file - not opt out. Adding the cancel button also makes the user feel even more insecure about which choice to make - remove it.

The dialog in its current hellish state:
Untitled32.png

A suggested new version (almost anything would be be an improvement over the current version):
Untitled.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Please, this one warning dialog is driving me insane!
+1. I think we already discussed this not too long ago.

Maybe change the "Continue" button in your suggested dialogue to "Use Newer"?

I'm unsure about the "Cancel" button – I actually use it a lot, since in most cases I want to review the changes. Maybe an extra "Open both" button would be useful. Or maybe a "Merge" button which opens the pld file and adds the jpeg as the top layer. Then it's also easy to review the changes.

Btw., one of the reasons why the jpeg (or whatever) file may be newer is metadata change (Exif/XMP/IPTC). Is there an easy way to update the metadata of the pld file from the jpeg file?

Cheers

Burkhard.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Haben sich die automatischen Hilfslinien für Textebenen in letzter Zeit geändert? Anscheinend rasten die Ebenen jetzt am oberen und unteren sichtbaren Schriftrand ein. Das mag ja ganz praktisch sein, wenn man Texte an Vektorobjekten ausrichtet, aber für zwei Textebenen finde ich das Verhalten ziemlich unbrauchbar – wenn der eine Text Ober- oder Unterlängen hat und der andere nicht, funktioniert die Ausrichtung nicht. Vorher ging das zumindest bei gleicher Schrift am oberen Textebenenrand und (nach "Textebenengröße optimieren") auch am unteren Rand. Um Texte mit verschiedenen Schriften aneinander auszurichten (oder auch an einer Hilfslinie), wären eigentlich automatische Hilfslinien an den Grundlinien (der ersten und letzten Zeile) sinnvoller.

L.G.

Burkhard.
Ralf
Mitglied

Beitrag von Ralf »

bkh hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:Please, this one warning dialog is driving me insane!

Maybe change the "Continue" button in your suggested dialogue to "Use Newer"?
I'm not quite sure whether I've really overcome the DAU level. So, for me something self explaining like "Use newer" + "Use older" + "Cancel" would be easier to understand. I think I can deal with an additional "Merge"-button, too.

Regards,
Ralf
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Ralf hat geschrieben:[
I'm not quite sure whether I've really overcome the DAU level. So, for me something self explaining like "Use newer" + "Use older" + "Cancel" would be easier to understand. I think I can deal with an additional "Merge"-button, too.
One additional complication, though, is that there are two similar dialogues – one where the pld file is older than the jpeg (or whatever), and one where the pld is newer. I guess it's easier for me to decide between the pld version vs. the jpeg version, rather than old vs. new. What do others think?

Cheers

Burkhard.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bkh hat geschrieben:Haben sich die automatischen Hilfslinien für Textebenen in letzter Zeit geändert?
"Letzter Zeit" ist relativ. Das dürften schon ein paar Monate sein.
bkh hat geschrieben:Anscheinend rasten die Ebenen jetzt am oberen und unteren sichtbaren Schriftrand ein. Das mag ja ganz praktisch sein, wenn man Texte an Vektorobjekten ausrichtet, aber für zwei Textebenen finde ich das Verhalten ziemlich unbrauchbar (...)
Das ist das alte Problem. In einem Kontext ist ein Verhalten sinnvoll, im anderen unsinnig. Und zusätzliche Optionen sind keine Lösung, weil sie die meisten Anwender eher verwirren, als dass sie ihnen nutzen.

Ich werde das Verhalten für Textebenen wieder zurückändern.

Martin
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bkh hat geschrieben:Btw., one of the reasons why the jpeg (or whatever) file may be newer is metadata change (Exif/XMP/IPTC). Is there an easy way to update the metadata of the pld file from the jpeg file?
PhotoLine should already do this: If you load the older PLD, it should merge the meta data of the newer file.

Martin
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
bkh hat geschrieben:Btw., one of the reasons why the jpeg (or whatever) file may be newer is metadata change (Exif/XMP/IPTC). Is there an easy way to update the metadata of the pld file from the jpeg file?
PhotoLine should already do this: If you load the older PLD, it should merge the meta data of the newer file.
Indeed. That's great – thanks!

Burkhard.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Bei der Korrektur für die chromatische Aberration ist mir aufgefallen, dass "Breitenkompensation" standardmäßig eingeschaltet ist. Für die CAs eines normalen Objektivs sollte das aber abgeschaltet sein –(Ehrlich gesagt fällt mir auch gerade kein Beispiel ein, wo man die Option braucht.)

Was dagegen nützlich sein könnte, wäre die Angabe des Mittelpunkts – wenn man das Bild zugeschnitten hat, ist die Bildmitte nicht unbedingt da, wo die CAs am geringsten sind.

L.G.

Burkhard.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I encountered a number of redrawing problems: please open "live booleans". Try to turn off the layer effect for the RINGS layers in the layer properties: no effect. This also happens with the STEEL DISC and GOLD DISC layers: turning off the layer style effect in the layer properties does not take effect.

Open "live booleans_VIRTUAL. I replaced the gold mask with a virtual copy of the steel mask, and applied an inverted curve adjustment layer to invert the virtual mask. In theory it should invert the mask, and it partly works - but part of the mask inexplicably disappears, though.

I believe this is a bug in the layer render order.

Aside from these issues, I also noticed that the emboss effect's anti-aliasing quality is a bit problematic at times - please check the top part of the "Pharao's Disc", where the lack of anti-aliasing produces some ugly artifacts. The overall anti-aliasing quality could also be improved. This is why Photoshop introduced an "anti-alias" option in its layer styles.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I have been using the Browse function in Photoline more and more lately to organize images, and it would be nice if a search input field could be added in the toolbar which updates the content in real-time (a bit like Google's search function). It would also be great if that search input field would remember previous searches, and if we could use search operators.

The current picture search dialog is very(!) awkward to use. Any other image management tool I used in the past offers a quick search field.

And it would be nice if the icon preview size could be controlled with a simple slider.

I think the Browse tool can be incredibly handy - in its current state it feels somewhat clunky and old-fashioned in use, and the Browse GUI would benefit from an update.