Support so far:
- CC2015 Art Boards are imported (awesome) as named groups. In Photoline they are displayed side by side in the same page.
- layer groups are supported and imported correctly
- Smart Object created in Photoshop are imported as placeholder layers. Layers are supported! Right-mouse click on such a placeholder layer in the view allows for editing the content ("Edit"). It will open the PSB file in a new document. Editing and saving this PSB file will update the placeholder layer's content. Superb.
- Illustrator objects which were placed as smart objects in Photoshop are imported as
1) a rasterized layer which looks identical, and
2) an embedded placeholder layer which retains (!) the actual vector object, which is impressive.
the content of an Illustrator object is editable in the latest beta version(s).
- Text layers load up as a visually identical rasterized version (also supported in Smart Objects). Photoline also inserts a text layer with the actual text, but it is initially invisible. The text colour is incorrect (transparent) and the case it is set in may differ, as well as settings such as leading. However, it does retain the type face, and it is fairly simple to use the bitmap version as a reference to make repairs.
- Smart objects embedded within other smart objects are supported!
- Bitmap layer masks are supported.
- vector shapes with gradients are loaded properly as masked bitmap layers. ISSUE the vector shape is also loaded as a inactive masked vector graphic layer - however, the fill colour's gradient is not applied, and the stroke width is incorrect
- adjustment layer: Colour Balance is converted to a Photoline Color Balance. Slight colour shift.
- adjustment layer: Hue/Saturation is converted to a Photoline Hue/Saturation, the settings are correct.Slight colour shift.
- adjustment layer: Curves is converted to a Photoline Curves. Identical to the Photoshop version.
- adjustment layer: Levels is converted to a Photoline Levels. Identical to the Photoshop version.
- adjustment layer: Invert is converted to a Photoline Curves. Identical to the Photoshop version.
- adjustment layer: Channel Mixer is converted to a Photoline Channel Mixer. Identical to the Photoshop version.
- adjustment layer: Gradient Map is converted to a Photoline False Color, the settings are correct. Slight colour shift.
- When changes are made to the actual PSD file, any of these files (including the placeholders) which are open in Photoline update after drawing attention to this change with a warning dialog in Photoline.
- vector shapes are loaded as a hidden vector version and a bitmap version. [/color]
- vector masks are loaded up as correct looking bitmap layer masks.[/color]
- AWESOME embedded vector Illustrator smart object content can be edited or sent to an external application such as InkScape for further editing.
- adjustment layer: Black & White adjustment layers are supported ISSUE The visual result is not identical to Photoshop, however.
- adjustment layer: Colour Balance is converted to a Photoline Color Balance ISSUE Colour shift.
- adjustment layer: Solid Color Fill layer is supported
- adjustment layer: Gradient Fill layer is loaded up as a bitmap layer with layer mask. ISSUE ideally this would be loaded up as a vector layer with editable gradient
- adjustment layer: Pattern Fill layer is loaded as a bitmap layer with layer mask.ISSUE Ideally it would be loaded up as a vector layer with a bitmap pattern which is added to the patterns.
- adjustment layer: Vibrance is converted. ISSUE colour shift
- adjustment layer: Exposure is converted.
- adjustment layer: Selective Color is converted.
- adjustment layer: Exposure is converted. ISSUE slight colour shift
- adjustment layer: Threshold is converted.
- adjustment layer: Posterize is converted (stepped curve adjustment layer in Photoline).
- NEW Layer group layer masks are supported ISSUE layer mask size is incorrect, and cuts off content
- NEW Combined bitmap and vector masks applied to a layer are supported. Photoline converts these to 1) a combined bitmap layer mask, 2) an additional hidden bitmap layer consisting of the bitmap layer mask data, and 3) a vector layer with the vector mask data (the scale is wrong, though).ISSUE layer mask size is incorrect, and cuts off content
- vector layer masks are loaded up in a hidden vector layer, but the scale is wrong, and the vector is up-scaled by more than 200% its original's size.
- imported bitmap layer masks' size are off when loading art boards.
- adjustment layer: Photo Filter is unconverted.
- shapes with gradient and patterns applied to fills and/or strokes are not applied to the vector versions (a bitmap masked version does work, though).
- adjustment layer: Brightness/Contrast Both legacy and new versions are imported as a curves adjustment layer in Photoline. ISSUE result is completely different compared with original PSD
- layer masks cut off content. Layer masks should be the same size as the document size.
When these new multiple effects are used, they will not work in Photoline. Stick to one, and it generally works.
Supported (work in progress):
- stroke outside and inside
- gradient overlay (no blend mode support)
- inner shadow
- inner glow
- outer glow
- pattern overlay
- emboss effects: yes, up to a point. For example, pillow emboss is unsupported in Photoline.
I am looking forward to others testing PSD files and reporting back here.
I did not test Photoshop export: in my experience it is very limited compared to import.