*UPDATE Beta 12* Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Herbert123
Mitglied

*UPDATE Beta 12* Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread in which anyone can post their experiences (successes and failures) to open PSD files, in order to assist the brothers to improve Photoline's Photoshop import.

Support so far:
  • CC2015 Art Boards are imported (awesome) as named groups. In Photoline they are displayed side by side in the same page.
  • layer groups are supported and imported correctly
  • Smart Object created in Photoshop are imported as placeholder layers. Layers are supported! Right-mouse click on such a placeholder layer in the view allows for editing the content ("Edit"). It will open the PSB file in a new document. Editing and saving this PSB file will update the placeholder layer's content. Superb.
  • Illustrator objects which were placed as smart objects in Photoshop are imported as
    1) a rasterized layer which looks identical, and
    2) an embedded placeholder layer which retains (!) the actual vector object, which is impressive.
    the content of an Illustrator object is editable in the latest beta version(s).
  • Text layers load up as a visually identical rasterized version (also supported in Smart Objects). Photoline also inserts a text layer with the actual text, but it is initially invisible. The text colour is incorrect (transparent) and the case it is set in may differ, as well as settings such as leading. However, it does retain the type face, and it is fairly simple to use the bitmap version as a reference to make repairs.
  • Smart objects embedded within other smart objects are supported!
  • Bitmap layer masks are supported.
  • vector shapes with gradients are loaded properly as masked bitmap layers. ISSUE the vector shape is also loaded as a inactive masked vector graphic layer - however, the fill colour's gradient is not applied, and the stroke width is incorrect
  • adjustment layer: Colour Balance is converted to a Photoline Color Balance. Slight colour shift.
  • adjustment layer: Hue/Saturation is converted to a Photoline Hue/Saturation, the settings are correct.Slight colour shift.
  • adjustment layer: Curves is converted to a Photoline Curves. Identical to the Photoshop version.
  • adjustment layer: Levels is converted to a Photoline Levels. Identical to the Photoshop version.
  • adjustment layer: Invert is converted to a Photoline Curves. Identical to the Photoshop version.
  • adjustment layer: Channel Mixer is converted to a Photoline Channel Mixer. Identical to the Photoshop version.
  • adjustment layer: Gradient Map is converted to a Photoline False Color, the settings are correct. Slight colour shift.
  • When changes are made to the actual PSD file, any of these files (including the placeholders) which are open in Photoline update after drawing attention to this change with a warning dialog in Photoline.
  • vector shapes are loaded as a hidden vector version and a bitmap version. [/color]
  • vector masks are loaded up as correct looking bitmap layer masks.[/color]
  • AWESOME embedded vector Illustrator smart object content can be edited or sent to an external application such as InkScape for further editing.
  • adjustment layer: Black & White adjustment layers are supported ISSUE The visual result is not identical to Photoshop, however.
  • adjustment layer: Colour Balance is converted to a Photoline Color Balance ISSUE Colour shift.
  • adjustment layer: Solid Color Fill layer is supported
  • adjustment layer: Gradient Fill layer is loaded up as a bitmap layer with layer mask. ISSUE ideally this would be loaded up as a vector layer with editable gradient
  • adjustment layer: Pattern Fill layer is loaded as a bitmap layer with layer mask.ISSUE Ideally it would be loaded up as a vector layer with a bitmap pattern which is added to the patterns.
  • adjustment layer: Vibrance is converted. ISSUE colour shift
  • adjustment layer: Exposure is converted.
  • adjustment layer: Selective Color is converted.
  • adjustment layer: Exposure is converted. ISSUE slight colour shift
  • adjustment layer: Threshold is converted.
  • adjustment layer: Posterize is converted (stepped curve adjustment layer in Photoline).
  • NEW Layer group layer masks are supported ISSUE layer mask size is incorrect, and cuts off content
  • NEW Combined bitmap and vector masks applied to a layer are supported. Photoline converts these to 1) a combined bitmap layer mask, 2) an additional hidden bitmap layer consisting of the bitmap layer mask data, and 3) a vector layer with the vector mask data (the scale is wrong, though).ISSUE layer mask size is incorrect, and cuts off content
(Still) Unsupported:
  • vector layer masks are loaded up in a hidden vector layer, but the scale is wrong, and the vector is up-scaled by more than 200% its original's size.
  • imported bitmap layer masks' size are off when loading art boards.
  • adjustment layer: Photo Filter is unconverted.
  • shapes with gradient and patterns applied to fills and/or strokes are not applied to the vector versions (a bitmap masked version does work, though).
  • adjustment layer: Brightness/Contrast Both legacy and new versions are imported as a curves adjustment layer in Photoline. ISSUE result is completely different compared with original PSD
  • layer masks cut off content. Layer masks should be the same size as the document size.
Layer Effects (work in progress). This one is difficult to measure and test for, because the newest version of Photoshop introduced the option to create multiple strokes, inner shadows, inner glows, color overlays, gradient overlays, and drop shadows.
When these new multiple effects are used, they will not work in Photoline. Stick to one, and it generally works.

Supported (work in progress):
  • dropshadow
  • stroke outside and inside
  • gradient overlay (no blend mode support)
  • inner shadow
  • inner glow
  • outer glow
  • pattern overlay
  • emboss effects: yes, up to a point. For example, pillow emboss is unsupported in Photoline.
[/list]

I am looking forward to others testing PSD files and reporting back here.

I did not test Photoshop export: in my experience it is very limited compared to import.
Zuletzt geändert von Herbert123 am Mi 02 Dez 2015 02:01, insgesamt 9-mal geändert.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:...
many points here.
Can you send simple example pictures to support@pl32.com? Every picture with just one missing feature.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Yes, I will do this tomorrow and over the weekend. And I will use the latest version (CC2015)
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Colours looking good -- Thanks!

Beitrag von photoken »

Referencing this post about the colours of the frame items in a PSD image:
http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p36305

The colours now come in as they should. Compare this import in PL 19.40b7 with the previous imported image in the referenced message:
Jacqueline Bisset 02.jpg
The frames are still flat, but simply increasing the strength of the PL Inner Emboss layer style to 100% (from 10%) solves that.

Thanks again!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
mdgunn
Mitglied

Beitrag von mdgunn »

Glad to see a thread for this and some feedback from the developers.

One of the reasons I used to use PhotoLine way back was that it had support for PhotoShop that other programs didn't (e.g. guides).

Having upgraded I've been a bit disappointed in the current support. I didn't expect to be able to do EVERYTHING but I had found that IrfanView a free *viewer* can open a viewable version that looks fine but PhotoLine had most often failed to open a version that could be viewed OK (regardless of editing it).

I will see if I can provide some files.
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

mdgunn hat geschrieben:Having upgraded I've been a bit disappointed in the current support. I didn't expect to be able to do EVERYTHING but I had found that IrfanView a free *viewer* can open a viewable version that looks fine but PhotoLine had most often failed to open a version that could be viewed OK (regardless of editing it).
Normally, PSD files contain a layer with the flattened result of the PSD file. This is what most viewers show (and also what a number of editors load). In PL, this layer is the top layer, which is turned off by default. Turn it on (and delete the rest if you like) to have a version which looks like the original PSD version.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I sent Gerhard a collection of CC2015 PSD sample files with all the missing or half working adjustment layers, fill layers, vector shapes, and vector layer masks. Let's wait and see if this will be helpful.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

It is helpful :-) Thank you for the files, I will check it in the next time.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben:It is helpful :-) Thank you for the files, I will check it in the next time.
It seems I left out a working sample for the solid colour fills, because that is the only one (aside from the photo filter) which is not working at all right now. I have sent you a sample file.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Update of PSD import status: in the latest beta an impressive number of missing features were added. Please refer to the first post.

The one major problem seems that there is a colour shift present in many adjustment layers. I have no idea why that is. The settings are identical for those layers compared to Photoshop, though.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: *UPDATE Beta 10* Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Beta 10!
- Solid fill layers are now correctly converted to a vector layer with layer mask.
- other improvements.

See the updated top post.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: *UPDATE Beta 10* Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Beta 11
- Gradation ohne Kurvenänderung

Important features still missing:
- layer masks for groups are unsupported
- PSD files with layers which have a combined bitmap and vector layer mask are unsupported and do not open correctly. The file will load up to the point when Photoline encounters the layer with a combined bitmap and vector layer mask: from that point onward layers are ignored, and not loaded.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: *UPDATE Beta 12* Testing Grounds for PSD Import (and export?)

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Beta 12
Layer group layer masks are now supported! (The mask does cut off part of the subject, though)
Combined bitmap and vector masks are now supported.

Most crucial problem in this version: layer masks are cut off. The size should be equal to the document size.